add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best (performance) option for adding a second m.2 drive to desktop

squarenuts
  • 3 months ago

Current configuration: MB: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA (only 1 m.2 slot) HD: 960 EVO 500GB (getting short on space) OS: Windows 10 Pro Parts on hand: Intel SSD 6 2TB m.2 riptop pci-e / m.2 adapter

Not sure what the best (performance) option here is when it come to newer drives.

Do I keep the 960 EVO in the m.2 slot and just add the Intel SSD to the adapter and move games / Steam folder off the boot drive (EVO) and on to the Intel ssd? (can it be this easy)

Or

Swap out the evo for the Intel drive in the MB's m.2 slot and make the Intel drive my new boot drive? (giving me plenty of room) And then put the EVO on the adapter for additional storage.

Summary, which SSD should be the boot drive and is there an advantage of using the other as a location for installed game? Or is it best for everything to migrate to the larger Intel drive. And have the drive that ends up in the adapter just be additional storage.

Thanks

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Put the Intel ssd into the adapter, plug it into a PCIe slot, and move stuff around. The m.2 to PCIe adaptor is almost entirely passive, it's basically just a way to plug an m.2 form factor drive into a PCIe slot; there's no performance change.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd just leave the 960 evo where it is and make it your OS/Program drive only. and move all the data/games off to the 2nd drive. Steam will move the folder for you even just go into settings and relocate the library.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube