add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD vs. HP EX920 M.2 SSD?

Xeric
  • 3 months ago

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting parts together to build a PC (my first time!) and I'm trying to decide on a SSD.

I've seen a lot of people recommending builds that have the Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD (1TB) but a few people have recommended the HP EX920 M.2 SSD (1TB) to me because it's cheaper and also has a 1GB cache whereas the Sabrent SSD apparently has no cache, however people have also said the Sabrent is still better overall despite that, so I don't really know what to think. Someone else has also stated that the Sabrent can run a bit hot.

I'm hoping to get some additional input as I'm having a difficult time deciding (I'm indecisive to begin with). If you recommend a completely different SSD, let me know. This would be in addition to a regular HDD. One related question when it comes to SSDs: do they need to have enclosures/heat sinks to cover them, or can they just be attached to the motherboard as-is? What's the best option? Also, are they supposed to come with a screw to properly secure it to the motherboard or does the motherboard come with that?

Thanks for any help! Let me know if you need additional information from me.

This is the build as it currently stands (if anything else stands out to you, please chime in, but my emphasis is on the SSD because it's the part that I'm the most unsure of)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $326.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $72.98 @ Amazon
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $118.98 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card $359.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Walmart
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $95.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Fractal Design X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan $14.89 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Fractal Design X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan $14.89 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1378.66
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1358.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-16 18:54 EST-0500

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

What's the computer going to be used for? For most uses, and gaming in particular, you'll never notice the difference and you might as well buy on price. The same goes for the heat sink; if you're going to stress the SSD by constantly reading and writing to it, such as a database server, a heat sink might be beneficial. For general purpose it's irrelevant.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Standard web browsing, watching Netflix/Hulu, gaming, and photos/photo editing will be my primary uses. Nothing extreme. Gaming would probably be the most intensive out of that list.

But I'll also have the regular HDD, so if I put the games on the HDD, for example, then wouldn't the HDD be stressed more than the SSD, or does the HDD just store the games and the SSD still gets used once they're actually being played?

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Anything on the hard drive is going to run at hard drive speeds for I/O. Most games only access storage to load and after that it doesn't matter. Some games, usually the more story driven open world games, will go to storage for scene changes or other data. Unless the game has some way to explicitly split up the data across multiple places, it will either be on the SSD or the hard drive.

Anyway, to your original question, it doesn't matter much which SSD you get. If the EX920 is cheaper, use it. They are all more than fast enough for what you're doing.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

"and you might as well buy on price"

Sound advice.

Anandtech have good info on absolute and relative prices, which is particularly useful given current volatility and the different form factors: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

(Unrelated to the SSDs) You might want to consider getting a CPU Cooler?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Does the AMD CPU not come with a stock cooler? I've read their stock coolers are pretty good, so I didn't choose another one.

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

The 3700X stock cooler is the Prism which is OK. You can do better but it's not terrible, particularly for the 3700X which doesn't run very hot.

The one AMD stock cooler that is really pretty marginal is the low end Stealth. It's adequate for something that you get basically for free, but any half-decent $20+ cooler does much better.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

They can run pretty loud, and for a decent build such as this one, I'd recommend getting one for better performance and more reliability out of your CPU in regards to safety of the CPU itself. Of course, this all depends on the games your playing or the tasks your doing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube