add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does anybody else feel like they overpaid for their PC, especially during 2017?

hypergalaxy8
  • 6 months ago

I feel like I did (i5 8400, 8GB RAM ($80), GTX 1060 6GB and other parts (excluding $110 OS Key and other accessories)) was around $950 USD. I am, however, looking into upgrading to 16GB RAM and adding a 1TB SSD (which isn't stupidly priced now). Was this a good price for the time (late 2017, where everything was too expensive)?

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Was this a good price for the time (late 2017, where everything was too expensive)?

It was a time when everything was too expensive, so looking at it now makes it look like a bad buy, when it wasn't bad for then.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

In my case the extra money paid was worth it due to what it replaced. I used to run a FX 8320 @4.7 GHz and it just simply was not doing the job it needed to anymore. I would not have been able to deal with that system if I decided to withhold upgrading till this year for better prices. The upgrade was out of necessity rather than scratching the upgrade itch. I did save money and not upgrade my GPU at the time of the build (rx 470) and I waited until after the GPU prices dropped before upgrading to a GTX 1070. At least the 470 had acceptable performance to hold off buying until the prices dropped and I still have that GPU in my other HTPC system.

I guess this deals with the old question, "shall I upgrade?". Some people say wait till the next new thing is out and others say get it now. If someone wants to upgrade they can wait but if someone needs to upgrade then just do so. Nature of PCs where better stuff comes out all the time and hardware loses value over time.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I for sure over paid in some aspects compared to if I build in 2016, but I also saved in others. For example I build in April of 2017 and 8gb of RAM cost me around $70, and a similar price for a 240gb SSD if I remember correctly. But I also saved heavily on my CPU, motherboard and GPU for the time. But that was only because I bought from Micro Center.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I built in 2016 when things were still reasonable. So no. But I do envy people building today.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My prebuilt I bought for $400 at that time because it was simply too much to actually build

ryzen 5 1400

8gb ram

1tb harddrive

rx 560

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "General > General Discussion".

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 6 months ago
  • 2 points

And the crypto boom had GPU prices high as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube