add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

500GB NVME M.2 Suggestions

Jake_Swinton
  • 3 months ago

I am looking to get a 500GB boot drive for my gaming PC. Willing to spend around $70 USD on it. Can stretch $10 if its worth it for the performance. Thanks.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

As well as recommended drives, the pricing info here, will help you sort the actual bargains, from the apparent ones.

Personally, I'd rather a bigger (at least 1TB, ideally 2) drive than a better (faster) drive, even if that meant 2.5" rather than M.2.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

For NVMe SSDs these are the 3 most popular picks:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/7stQzy,6YtQzy,nqc48d/

The Intel 660p is the slowest of those 3 but if you don't mind spending a bit more you can get a 1tb 660p NVMe SSD for ~$94. If you can't stretch the budget then the HP drive is an awesome buy atm.

If it is worth the performance or not depends on what you are doing. If this is a gaming PC then you are not likely going to notice much of a difference in speed between all of these NVMe SSDs. What you will notice however is when you start installing all your games the capacity of the SSD will become far more noticeable so a larger capacity will mean more. If you can stretch the budget ~$24 you can get a 1TB NVMe SSD and that is half a TB worth of more games you can install.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the options. I was going to go with a 500gb drive for windows, and a couple of my favourite games. Then a secondary 2TB HDD for everything else. Which of these would you recommend for this purpose?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

For a HDD just get a 7200 RPM one if you plan on having your less played games installed on it. Just be careful that you are not buying a refurbished or renewed HDD as they have been showing up on the PCPartPicker lists such as this. Go click on the amazon link and it will say it is a renewed drive which is one to avoid.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The Intel is QLC and the HP is DRAM-less, so the Sabrent is clearly the better drive.

That doesn't make the Intel a bad choice, but I think the HP needs to be even cheaper to be considered.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube