add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

adding old hard disk drive to new computer.

zenay
  • 3 months ago

I am looking into building my first gaming PC And for storage im thinking of going with the sabrent 1tb m.2. My question is if i download windows and get my new computer up and running on the m.2 is it possible to just plug in my hard disk drive(which also has windows on it) and have it as a secondary drive? or will it interfere with the m.2. My hard disk drive is from a prebuilt alienware x51 R2. Also the motherboard i will be using for my new pc is the b450 tomohawk max.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

As both drives will have windows on it, you just need to make sure in the BIOS/UEFI settings that it is set to boot from the correct drive (the SSD). That way you do just what you said, plug the HDD in after you get windows all done on the SSD and it will just be there as the D: drive.

I would suggest that once you get your SSD running properly to move any data from the HDD to the SSD temporarily and then format the HDD to clean the old windows from it, recover space etc., then just copy the data back to the HDD. Of course make extra care to ensure you don't forget some data, or format the wrong drive.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If this is a SATA HDD you can most definitely use it in a new PC. Though remember to backup anything important, as HDDs get older they have a higher chance to fail as they contain moving parts that do wear out over time. HDDs do not last forever. If it is still in good shape you can still use it but backups is a good idea.

Some motherboards will disable a SATA port or 2 if using a M.2 SSD (not always) but if it does disable said port there are usually more ports that are still active that you can use. I don't think I have ever seen a motherboard disable all sata ports to use a M.2 and even if it does disable any there will be about 2 to 7 ports that are still usable. On a b450 Tomahawk Max motherboard it has 6 sata ports and sata ports 5+6 are disabled using m.2 however sata ports 1 through 4 stay active.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube