add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC-PC LAN connection speed issue

Vidyasagar95

2 months ago

I have a setup where I have a laptop and desktop PC that are connected via a router(d link dsl 2750u) and two cat 5e ethernet patch cables. Now I am able to access shared files on both PCs as they are supposed to however the data transfer speeds are not making sense. My laptop has the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Ethernet driver which I think is the Fast Ethernet type which supports upto 100 Mbps and my Desktop PC has a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller which has a gigabit Ethernet speeds. Whenever I try to send files between these two PCs either from the desktop to the laptop or the other way around my maximum transfer speed as shown by windows file explorer dialog box saturates at around 10 mbps. Based on what I know I think it should go at least upto 100 mbps but for some reason it gets capped at 10 mbps. Is there any way I can fix this issue?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Are you sure the dialog box is mbps and not MBps? I thought the dialog box is showing megaByte/sec while network speeds are megaBit/sec. which would make the 10MBps the expected speed.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh fricking hell. I am so stupid! -.- Thank you for this comment. I have been confused about that for quite some time now. For some reason my brain just decided to ignore the capital letter 'B' and assumed it was mbps. Maybe I will just have to get a USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter for a gigabit connection.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

100 Mbps is equal to 12.5 MBps. But you never get the full theoretical max due to various conditions, header info etc. It sounds like you might be getting 10 megaByte transfer which seems normal.

10 Mbps would only be 1.25MegaByte /s if that is indeed what you are getting and would be low.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep you are 100% right. Today has been quite a stupid day for me. 😓 Thank you pointing it out to me. Now I know what I need to do to increase the speeds.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube