add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Already have a 1TB SSHD, looking to buy an SSD to go along with it.

hypergalaxy8
  • 4 months ago

I'm looking to put Windows 10, games, and applications on the SSD and other stuff on the SSHD. Looking for something that is under $100 (but I can probably stretch a bit) and has 1TB storage and can boot up fast and load things fast (I do not know much about all the technical terms). Idk if I want to do NVME (due to it seeming to be installed into an inconvenient spot) but if it makes that much of a difference let me know. Thanks in advance!

My current build for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9P9Xvn

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Strictly speaking, NVMe is faster than SATA. But in real terms (and outside of specific situations), you won't notice the difference.

The price gap between the two is closing (especially with the sales on), but it's not quite there yet.

Useful info on pricing here, but the sales will skew that, so buying (any of the recommended/known brand drives) on price alone is absolutely fine: you will get something decent sub-$100, no problem.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I was initially deciding between the 600p (cheaper alternative, ~$82 on sale) and the Sabrent Rocket (more expensive, $120). Is the $40 difference worth it?

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

"Technically" speaking the Sabrent is the better drive (TLC vs QLC), but whether you or I would run up against the shortcomings of QLC is debatable (the one likely exception being that as the drive fills up, QLC performance will drop off sooner than TLC).

But $40 "better"? Not to me.

See what tomorrow/Monday brings: here in the UK, the Sabrent was a "daily deal" on Amazon earlier this week and more or less the same price as the Intel.

I appreciate I'm probably making your decision more difficult with each reply, so please bear in mind that the following are rather broad generalisations:

• NVMe is "better" than SATA, but you won't notice the difference;

• TLC is "better" than QLC, but you won't notice the difference;

• the SSD market is currently such, that you can buy (a known brand) on price alone and be confident of not getting mugged-off.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If I'm just going to be concerned about the PC booting up faster and games opening up quicker then should I just get the 660p?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If that's the cheapest on the day, then "yes".

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It appears that there is a QLC version of the Sabrent Rocket 1TB drive that is $99. Should I get that one?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube