add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

iphone 6s: Replace Battery or Upgrade?

TacoNinja
  • 5 months ago

I've got an iPhone 6s which has worked well for a while but the battery is starting to wear after 4 years. I could take it in and get it replaced for $50 or I may be able to snag a deal from AT&T for a new phone for about $200. Personally, I don't see any reason to upgrade in terms of features. I really like the size of my 6s and the headphone jack, and nothing more really matters as I mostly use it for texting and entertainment (YouTube and Netflix.) However, my main concern would be longevity. Even with a new battery, would I start experiencing issues from the rest of the hardware aging? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for the feedback, ended up going with an iFixit replacement and went great!

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

The hardware will be fine. It's the software that I'd worry about; Apple have a bad habit of obsoleting older iPhones by not supporting them with newer iOS versions. On the other hand, if you don't use it for anything exotic, you can probably get a few more years out of it even if you have to stay on an older iOS.

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

Apple have a bad habit of obsoleting older iPhones by not supporting them with newer iOS versions.

Disagree, in fact, I think Apple is rather good about this. They supported the iPhone 5s until iOS 12, which is insane IMO

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Exactly. Samsung is the one that doesn't support older phones, such as the S7 anymore.

In fact, the 6S got the lastest update which is iOS 13.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah Apple is pretty decent about supporting their hardware. Android is a crapshoot on support, it really depends on who you are buying from. Google already discontinued support for their original Pixel from 2016; the iPhone 6S is from 2015 and is still up to date.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, main strength for Apple.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. The only major feature I’ve appreciated from the most recent update is for dark mode on the device. Other than that, most software updates don’t bring anything in particularly excited about or in need of and my use on it is very basic. Thanks again!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, say that to my GS8 that won't get android 10.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not replace the battery yourself. A new decent quality battery costs about $15 and the repair is pretty simple. iFixit and Youtube have many great guides.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

How much is the tool kit in addition? I don’t mind diy repairs, but I know how particular Apple is on certified parts, so in the long run $50 may be worth the piece of mind knowing there will be no future problems with Apple being so anti-self repair.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You can probably get a half decent one for $15-20. Pretty much just need a couple bits (don't remember off the top of my head), some sort of wedge to get the screen off, and a suction cup usually helps.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking on Amazon and the iFixit kit is $30, so I may look into that. I've even seen others with increased capacities which is very enticing, but need to do research on reliability and whatnot. Still a little unsure about doing it myself but will definitely look into it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a great learning experience imo. Since my first phone repair I have done many and almost every time it was successful. Except where I punctured the lithium ion battery in my iPhone 6 during its removal. That was the last straw and now I am happily on Android!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally a battery comes with a bundled toolkit. Be sure in the listing if you go this route.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the original iphone 6. It was a hand-me down from my architect cousin, and so after he had it for ~4 years, I got it and still have it. I basically had to charge the battery fully every single day since it drained really fast. Now since I got it replaced it has made such a difference and now I maybe charge every two weeks (I spend 12 minutes a day on my phone, when it seems everyone I know is spending hours on snapchat.)

But it makes such a difference.

It doesn't make sense to upgrade, as performance is on par with most $200 phones

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Was the battery replaced by Apple or did you do it yourself with a 3rd party battery? I’m pretty good at reducing my use when I know I’ll need my phone without charging it, but it will drop 10% in a matter of minutes with only the occasional text, which is something I can’t rely on. Thanks for the info!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Replaced by an shop authorized by Apple.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Your concern is valid, but with iPhones, you probably still have a few more years. If there's no deal with AT&T I'd say you just replace your battery but this seems to be a pretty good deal. What phone do you get with that $200 deal?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Not entirely sure, I think something like an iPhone 7 or 8, maybe $250-$300 for the X. But I’m really leaning toward a battery replacement as I really like my 6s more than these.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

i would say get a lower end model, if you don't want to get anything other than apple than i would say probably an 8 and if not i would say go for a Samsung phone, they make pretty good phones that aren't flagships. they have good budget options

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I really looked into getting a Pixel 2 or 3A, but went with a battery replacement from iFixit. I was content with my current phone and the battery was also the cheapest option. Plus the inescapable liking for iMessage lol.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, replace battery. Even though you get all the features with newer phones, I still daily drive a 6s. On iOS 10. I like the size, as you said, and the fact that it has an actual home button that MOVES. And the headphone jack, and the fact that it also supports the lightning earbud connector.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup! Replaced it a few days ago and love to have my old phone performance back.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube