add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Price history graphics get broken by excessive values

SyncViews

2 months ago

Sometimes I want to easily see a products price history to see if a deal is good or not (for at least some of the sellers).

But often the graph gets scaled to something insane by a couple of "bad" data points making them completely useless. Can these either be removed from the graph scaling (e.g. y-axis based on some kind of average across sellers), or have some option for the user to rescale / "zoom", e.g. setting the maximum and minimum prices for the y-axis.

e.g. here for some reason Newegg UK decided to sell a Ryzen 2700X at over £4,000 for a while, reducing everything else to nearly a flat line and hiding the price trend from over £300 to about £160. Limiting it to say £500 for example, still above any other price I can see in the graph would be much more usable.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/bddxFT/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-37ghz-8-core-processor-yd270xbgafbox?history_days=365

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep, we've seen this in some other situations too. At first we would just remove the price history around that time window. But it's been prevalent enough across other retailers too that that's probably not a viable long-term strategy. I'll see if we can come up with a better min/max y-axis value approach.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

To follow up, I've rolled out a change that price graphs will now cap out the y-axis max if there are prices exceeding three standard deviations from the mean. That should fix the graph you listed plus several others that were exhibiting similar behavior. When the x-axis gets capped though the hover legend will still show the actual outlier prices.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Done some other builds/part searching and been pretty good.

The only slightly odd one I recall coming across is this. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/wMvZxr/corsair-memory-cmk32gx4m2a2133c13?history_days=730

The ~£2400 point I couldn't get to show on hover. But still far better than if it scaled to the £12,389.99 price :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like the max for that is now at 450 pounds.

highest besides that Newegg blip was at 350.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube