add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I can't decide, should I go FreeNAS or Unraid

mhweb
  • 2 months ago

For weeks, I've been going back and forth, and I can't decide between Unraid and FreeNAS for my next NAS server.

I like the idea of Unraid with the ability to increase the storage at any and you can enjoy of more storage, but I also like ZFS that comes with FreeNAS, but it's an expensive implementation as you have to create big storage pool from the beginning if you want to avoid creating another pool. However, I like FreeNAS interface and its features, though Unraid doesn't look bad either.

I could just buy the hardware, try each OS, and decide, but the problem is that I kinda like AMD, and FreeNAS doesn't like Ryzen too much, so the decision is also affect the hardware choice.

The only thing I can think of is going Intel Xeon and hope for the best.

What do you think? Unraid or FreeNAS, Intel or AMD.

Thanks,

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Up-to-date FreeNAS runs just fine on Ryzen, from what I read. If you want ECC memory that actually error corrects, you'll need to put a bit of money into the motherboard (X470 Taichi is one that does it). I can't help with the Unraid vs FreeNAS question, but I do think that it can be separate from the hardware decision.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the advise.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube