add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboards -- no compatible CPUs

pianoplayer88key
  • 3 months ago

I've been noticing for at least the last several months or more now, that when I add an LGA2011-3 Narrow board to a build, then go to add a CPU, it lists no compatible CPUs. This is in spite of the fact that any normal LGA2011-3 CPU should be compatible.

Also when I add the CPU first, then go add a motherboard, no LGA2011-3 Narrow boards are listed. And, if I start by adding one of the CPU coolers that's ONLY compatible with LGA2011-3 Narrow (Dynatron R13, R24, R25, T318), it lists no compatible CPUs, but it does list compatible motherboards if I haven't tried to add a CPU yet.

It's the CPU COOLER that the user needs to watch out for compatibility with the motherboard, not the CPU itself.

LGA2011-3 Motherboards require LGA2011-3 CPU Coolers. LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboards require LGA2011-3 Narrow CPU Coolers.

There are no such things as LGA2011-3 Narrow CPUs. All are LGA2011-3, and are compatible with both types of motherboards. The "Narrow" vs normal determines the placement of the CPU Cooler mounting holes, NOT the dimensions / specifications of the socket.

Same thing applies for dual-socket boards.

Any idea when this can be fixed?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Looks like that's a feature regression. It shouldn't be happening like that (definitely a bug that didn't exist previously). I'll look into it and get it fixed. Sorry about that!

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok it should be fixed now. It turns out that the issue wasn't socket related, but CPU series / chipset related. The underlying compatibility code was marking the sockets cross compatible correctly. However, we had inadvertently flagged the C612 chipset as not compatible with the Xeon E5 series. That's been fixed, so you should now see the appropriate CPUs and motherboards showing compatible.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, it's working now. (Tested it with the Supermicro X10SRL-F.)

Also I was thinking... would it be possible to separate the revisions of the LGA1151 socket into separate entries? It gets a bit tedious to have to manually scroll down the expanded chipset list and select B150, B250, C232, C236, H110, H170, H270, Q170, Q270, Z170, Z270, or B360, B365, C242, H310, H370, Q370, Z370, Z390 when I want to pick one version of the socket or the other. Often I choose the motherboard in a pcpp build before I choose a CPU.

There's a few other things I've thought of too, like

• having a way to combine PCIe or SATA filters (like show me any boards with 4 or more combined PCIe x8 & x16 slots and 8 or more SATA 6Gb/s & SATA Express (these would count as 2 SATA 6G) & SAS 12 & 6 Gb/s),
  • or drive bays (show me all cases that have 12 or more drive bays in any combination of 5.25" & 3.5" bays, or minimum of 3x 5.25" bays),
  • the auto filter (from parts list) taking into account how many of something you have in your parts list (I've had like 12+ 3.5" HDDs in my parts list and yet when I went to choose a case, it was listing cases that only had like 2 or 3 bays along with everything else),
  • sliders for RAM clock speed,
  • a yellow info note if you have a build that doesn't support integrated graphics and haven't added a video card yet (there could be an option to turn it on/off, cause most gamers would use a dGPU but some people have other uses so an iGPU might be preferred for those uses),
  • or if the monitor you have selected is not compatible with your motherboard's on-board video out ports (for example a monitor with only HDMI & DisplayPort and a server/workstation Xeon motherboard with only VGA),
  • maybe an option to do a "complete build" check - even if all the existing parts are compatible, did you maybe forget a power supply, or an SSD, or mouse, or whatever (and also the option to specify existing parts on hand you're reusing),
  • some builds I do say "more SATA ports needed" - maybe the ability to add SAS / SATA RAID cards / HBAs (like the LSI 9211-8i that's common on eBay, & others, even if you couldn't use eBay prices although it'd be nice if it could be done),
  • "I live in X location" in preferences, so it looks up the tax laws and automatically adds tax where appropriate & how much (in CA we also pay sales (or use) tax on out of state purchases), and calculates shipping for places that don't have a flat rate (the ones that say + in the price & don't list shipping on pcpp, but when you go on their site they have you put in your postal code)

There's others that have popped in my mind at times, but they seem to be in hibernation right now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube