add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wifi Drivers Zorin Linux

Tazzl

1 month ago

Any linux gurus out there? I need some help. I'm at my wit's end here. I have a wifi card and is being detected in my desktop running zorin os core. I can't seem to scan for available networks or connect to any. Help please, it looks like a driver issue maybe? Thank you. Merry Christmas!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'm not familiar with what Zorin uses in terms of network. It could be wicd, network manager, wpa supplicant, connman...and on and on. I imagine if it's not finding any wifi nic it's going to come down to tinkering in the command line.

One thing I always tend to do is go to the terminal and type sudo dmesg (give your root password) and then sort through that mess and see if anything stands out like an error. Sometimes that can help lead to what is going on.

More than likely the wrong driver is loaded or no driver all is loaded for that wifi adapter. Like the other guy said finding out the controller chip should lead you in the right direction...though there are chips that have no opensource drivers.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The card turned out to not work.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Any linux gurus out there?

There's a least a couple on this site. I would like to think I'm one of them, with the number of Linux systems I'm running, so maybe I can help (but wifi isn't my forte)...

Main questions (that I can think of off the top of my head):

• How comfortable are you with Linux? The command line is a very good thing to get comfortable with if you're not already good with it. You're gonna need it sooner or later...

• How do you know the wifi card is detected?

• How are you trying to scan for networks? Are you using a GUI tool or a command line tool?

• How many interfaces does ip addr show? Is there a wireless one?

• Is wlan soft or hard blocked in rfkill output? Is wlan even in rfkill output?

• What's the controller chip used on the card? Running lspci -nn | grep Network would probably tell you.

• Is the driver loaded? Try lsmod | grep <name of driver> if you know the name of the driver.

• What kernel are you using? Try uname -r

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm not comfortable with cmd line. lspci showed it. Command line tool. Haven't tried it. No idea. ? No, it isn't. Already tried that I could.

All of this is irrelevant now because I discovered the card doesn't work.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Don't troll.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube