add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Possible future upgrades

Hello, everyone! This is not gonna be something that will happen anytime soon. I literally JUST built my PC for Christmas. These possible upgrades are for way in the future. Tell me what you think! If you want to check out the build I have now, you can click on the little “1 build” button.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $194.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $79.98 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $42.24 @ Walmart
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $399.99 @ B&H
Case Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $83.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32/64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $821.18
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $801.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-02 14:10 EST-0500

Note: The motherboard says “Ryzen 3000 series ready” on the box so I will not need to be concerned about BIOS updates. Even if I do, I already have a Ryzen 3 1200 so I would be able to.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Start with the monitor. There's no point in having a build that can generate a gazillion fps if the monitor can't display any faster than 60 frames a second (60 Hz refresh). Once you decide on a monitor upgrade, whether it's just refresh rate, adaptive sync, or a size / resolution change, then you know what you need to do in the rest of the setup. You'll probably want CPU and GPU upgrades, possibly more SSD for additional storage. Your memory, motherboard, and PSU situation is fine for now. (If you upgrade the PSU, I'd suggest at least 80+ Gold efficiency for reduced waste heat and power.)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I forgot to mention something about that. I'm gonna be getting the AOC 1080p 144hz VA 1ms (I doubt it's actually 1ms) for my birthday that I can use for sveral years. Also, wow, you are the first person I've met who hasn't griped about my cheap power supply. Thank you for that! The Ryzen 3 1200 overclocks to 3.8 just fine without any issues of power. I will get an 80+ gold PSU eventually, so don't worry about that. Also, I realize now that because the monitor I specified has FreeSync, I should get an rx 5700 as it is cheaper for similar performance. Thanks for the reply, though. I recognized you as soon as I saw your name because you are one of the top helpers in the forums imo. I salute you for your generous advice!

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

and by the way, after taking another closer look at your upgrade list, I'm all for a better CPU cooler. Not so much about the AIO, though. If you want to get into pumped liquid, that's entirely your choice. I personally have issues with putting corrosive liquids (water) into my computers but it's probably because I'm old and cranky. An Arctic 34 or one of its variants, or at the low end a Deepcool gammaxx 400, or for some bling, one of the cooler master LED versions of the 212 or MA410.

Or ... dig up a Wraith Prism, lots of 'em on the used market, and it's actually a pretty decent option for the 65w TDP CPU's like the 1200 and 3600. Performance doesn't match the Arctic 34's and Mugen 5's of the cooler world, but it's not a bad cooler at all.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a friend that just build his new PC (3700x... 5700 XT... the works) and he said he’s eventually gonna get a liquid cooler. When he does, he said he can give me his old Wraith Prism cooler that came with his 3700x. I will be all set for cooling!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You can feel free to get nvidia as long as that AOC monitor does freesync over displayport, since the new nvidia drivers support that. (Freesync over displayport is "VESA adaptive sync".) Google "amd monitor list" and you should turn up a link to an AMD maintained list of freesync monitors and whether they operate over displayport or just HDMI. I think AMD are still struggling a bit with 5700/5700XT driver and quality issues, although a lot of people are perfectly happy with the cards.

I'm impressed by what you are getting out of your 1200! Using the stock cooler, too? A wee beast!

Your current PSU isn't any sort of gem, but it's one of these things where since you have it, and it's working fine now, there's no point in trading sideways just to say you have a better and more stable circuit design. Trade when you need to because of power limitations, and not just because.

And, you're welcome!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube