add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Micro ATX MB For People Who Do Not Plan to Overclock

Pangur

1 month ago

I do not plan to overclock. I just want a solid motherboard. Most of the time my new computer is just going to be used for normal kinds of stuff, Libreoffice spreadsheets and the Internets. I play a few games when I have time. The most demanding games are Tropico 6, Surviving Mars, Out Of The Park Baseball and Kerbal Space Program (KSP 2 is coming out) - and even then, just at 1080p. I am not sure I need all sorts of awesome 'Pro Gaming' tools for overclocking - which I am likely never going to use, and I do not care about RGB.

To be honest, I think I will only use one PCIe x16 for a video card and the rest of the slots are just wastelands that might help air flow.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For what CPU?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF, DDR4 3000 or 32000.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's not going to matter.

Intel side there are some B/H series motherboard with a high end feature set.

Which is why I asked.

AMD side all MATX are cut rate for features and options, with no overclocking on a mid core count even power delivery isn't going to matter much.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I pretty much agree with Gilroar; but if you want a couple specific suggestions, I'd say MSI Pro-M2 MAX if you're OK with 2 RAM slots, or either the Pro-VDH Max or the Asrock Pro4 (but NOT the Pro4-F) if you want 4 slots. That's going by today's pricing.

The gigabyte DS3H is a commonly used low end B450m, might be fine but I haven't used it myself and the MSI is only a couple dollars more.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The gigabyte DS3H is a commonly used low end B450m, might be fine but I haven't used it myself

Not terrible and not great.

Only one fan header but at least that is a 2a fully configurable header.

MSI may or may not have two headers but even two headers isn't enough for most builds, so your still spending on splitters or a hub, and those headers are all 1a headers.

The Gigabyte audio implementation is also fairly solid for such a low end board and you actually need to invest in higher end gear before it starts showing its cheaper.

It isn't a MATX form factor though so can look bad in some cases being undersized.

Outside of overclocking it's really not at a disadvantage against the other options and I would take it over the Pro-M.2 since it at least has a heatsink.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What CPU and case do you have/plan on using? What memory?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF, DDR4 3000 or 32000.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube