add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need advice for upgrading my gpu.

mexpes17
  • 2 months ago

I have been saving up to upgrade my gpu from a 2060 to a 2070 super, but now that I have enough I looked more into it and saw that a 2070 super might have bottleneck issues with my cpu. My cpu is an i5-9400f. Should I buy the gpu and look to upgrade the cpu later or is that a bad idea (dont have enough to upgrade the cpu as well)?

Anything helps!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

The max frame rates will be the same since the CPU hard limits frame rates.

The quality settings the 2070 Super offers will be higher at every given frame rate then the 2060.

If you're already happy with frame rates then you will only be happier with higher quality settings.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900ks/13.html

Overall there is really not much left to move up to CPU wise and you wouldn't gain more then 16% on average.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Is upgrading the cpu to an i5-9600k worth it to pair with the 2070 super?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

You would gain a little fps more so if you had a Z370/Z390 and could overclock.

But honestly just to gain 10-15% frame rates really puts that into questionable value giving the cost.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean these upgrades are done eventually right? Unless theirs another better route.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Generally by the point that upgrades are needed the platform is dead and upgrading on it isn't worth the money as better options are out.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a very similar question. I've been running a i5-8400 with a 1060 6GB for 2 years and it pretty much crushes everything I play at 1080p (not really a twitch gamer - but RTS and city builders with intense graphics). Recently I've seen the light in the form of 1440p. At this level my rig struggles to put out 60fps. I was thinking of just upgrading the GPU to a 2060 super, realizing there maybe somewhat of a CPU bottlenecking but also thinking I'd get another 30fps at 1440p. Does this seem worth it and feasible? ...sorry, I don't mean to hijack your post but its such a similar question

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

could get a 9700 and update the BIOS, that goes to 4.7Ghz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube