add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Good option for a AMD Ryzen 2700x?

Marcbowman

1 month ago

I am looking for a decent quality ATX board for the Ryzen 2 2700x I am getting. I have done a lot of homework but I am still indecisive as it seems a lot of tech articles, reviews and youtube channels are nitpicking a lot of flaws in the boards ranging from the B450, X470 and X570 (X570 being probably the lesser of problems). So I will tell you what I want to do and look forward to some additional input:

• Board must tolerate overclocking (Nothing extreme, just a bit of a punch down the line, not intending to OC soon).
  • Would really like something with a decent quality VRM for reasons of overclocking; with a good heatsink tested and tried.
  • Would also really like something with a good sound chip (well shielded, etc), I want to avoid downgrading on audio quality.
  • Doesn't have any major issues that plague a lot of customers due to inherent design flaws in the BIOS or board itself. (Exceptionally picky with memory/bad placement of components/obstructive parts)
  • Aesthetics aren't important to me, while it would be nice to have options to control lighting (RGB headers); I am more concerned with reliability and function of the system than its looks.

As far as budget, around the $120 - $220 range (i'll consider a little higher if the board is exceptional quality). I don't want to go too crazy; I only plan to use a single video card (for now the Gigabyte GTX 1070 OC), I am never looking to SLI. I will probably stick CL14 3200 memory sticks in it and in the near future add an M.2 drive to it.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

B450

Budget boards built cheap to fit the budget.

A few are adequate for your needs but that is about all that can be said of them from an overclocking standpoint.

X470

Can be hit and miss depending on the specific model.

X570

Honestly even cheap X570 are better then almost all X470 and any B450.

If you plan on using the board for awhile and upgrading on it there really isn't a reason to not pay the little more and get one, it's barely going to touch the overall budget, all are pretty overkill build wise for a 2700X, and get better BIOS support then B450/X470, which is what you want when overclocking a Ryzen.

I would go for a TUF X570

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/whMTwP/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've heard some bad things about the TUF product line; and even heard people complaining about how the chipset blower is awkwardly positioned such that any larger sized video card will impede airflow or create higher than normal operating temperatures. Has this been proven true? Also they use a cheap audio chip in there as well. I would rather get the Asus prime X570 (even though it appears to have very similar fan positioning) over the TUF in this case, because that is said to be pretty decent.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've heard some bad things about the TUF product line

On other series TUF is Asus's entry level products, on the X570 they use a comparable power delivery to what is used for the top end ROG Intel boards.

and even heard people complaining about how the chipset blower is awkwardly positioned such that any larger sized video card will impede airflow or create higher than normal operating temperatures.

The placement is true of all X570. The TUF unlike several models doesn't block airflow to the blower fan so it runs cooler.

Has this been proven true?

It's been proven wrong in every review of the board.

Also they use a cheap audio chip in there as well.

Same as any entry level product and all but two full sized B450.

Asus on this at least provides decent shielding and capacitor count which is better then can be said for most popular boards recommended for 3000 series.

When it comes to audio better to have a properly done low end codec then a poorly built high end codec.

I would rather get the Asus prime X570 (even though it appears to have very similar fan positioning) over the TUF in this case, because that is said to be pretty decent.

It's overall a lower quality board but your money to spend, even that is a better quality product then what is available from B450.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your input, really appreciate it. I am willing to spend a little over my budget as stated if the board itself has exceptional audio quality. Do you have any recommendations that maybe go above that TUF board's price which may include better audio whilst having similar VRM quality?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is there any other difference between the Wifi version and non-Wifi version aside from the obvious?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you want better audio quality, I'd recommend skipping the onboard audio and getting a good external DAC and amp.

Next step up for integrated you would be looking at say, the Aorus Pro, and for just better audio that money goes a long way toward dedicated entry level equipment.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Gilroar is right here. The Asus Tuf is the best in that price range and better than any B450 board.

You could run the 2700x just fine on a B450 Tomahawk/Pro Carbon, assuming you have some airflow, but the Asus X570 would run cooler from what I've seen.

The upcoming X570 Tomahawk also looks like a good option in that price range, but release is currently "Q1" so who knows when it will release and what reviews will say.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Isn't the Asus x570-p just as good and even cheaper?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's more stripped down. Fewer power stages, no Type C or optical ports, worse LAN controller. It's a good board but not as good as the Tuf. It's only a $15 difference right now between the P and non-wifi Tuf as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I don't like the lan controller on it. I don't think any other boards use it.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Motherboard Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $131.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $131.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-14 12:22 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For what reason? I've no doubt heard a lot of good things about the board; it's also pretty low price. The VRM seems questionable on it; even though it is said to have adequate cooling for the VRM; I question its longevity with a 2700x in it, especially if I decide to do an OC down the road.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Why not consider the top AMD X470 motherboards from last gen, Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi are one of the best VRMs and still are among the new ones. For example the Taichi is under 170$ and has better vrms than most X570 at 250$.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Another one for the MSI Tomahawk Max. I'm looking at doing a build with the Ryzen 2700 and this motherboard ticks all the boxes. It gets fantastic reviews, good VRM, good for OC. Just make sure you go for the Max one and not the standard one. The max supports faster memory speeds and has a bigger BIOS chip, both meaning that it's more future proof.

The money that you save on this over a x570 can go towards a better GPU etc, or just save you money!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It has only one m.2 slot for a NVMe pcie drive though, right? What if you want two?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube