add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Get this good deal or go Ryzen?

slashbrackets
  • 1 month ago

Building a new PC - would you go with this deal or is there a Ryzen chip that's as good or better for less?

Here's the deal: https://www.microcenter.com/product/512484/intel-core-i7-9700k-coffee-lake-36-ghz-lga-1151-boxed-processor

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Ryzen -> Better bang for buck, similar or better performance compared to Intel at price point. For heavily threaded workloads (not too many of these are likely to be of importance to you), Ryzen might be a better choice with 12 and 16 core mainstream processors.

Intel -> Can usually overclock quite nicely. K-series chips are arguably better for applications like gaming particularly when overclocked. i7-9700K/9900K tend to top gaming performance charts, particularly when blazing at 5GHz plus.

While most people will recommend AMD nowadays my personal opinion is you cannot go wrong with either. I err towards Intel mainly because I enjoy tinkering about.

At end of day though it is up to you to research benchmarks for the software you want to use. Decide what you can live with. The CPU ideally should not be something you will switch out for a number of years. If you are fairly relaxed and are not building a PC for professional workloads, i.e. your tasks are limited to gaming, microsoft office, Youtube, Netflix etc, then consider the Ryzen 5 3600 as a potential alternative to the 9700K. Largely worse performance but $120 cheaper than the i7-9700K and you will never know the difference in most applications. Well worth a consideration.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Get this good deal or go Ryzen?

That's a difficult one. As Intel concerns it's a good deal as you pay less for an i7-9700K and you get a compatible motherboard $20 cheaper too.

But that's not the whole truth.

Getting an i7-9700K cheaper is good, but for overclocking that processor you need a good quality board (that may cost a lot even if you get it $20 cheaper) and you need a good CPU cooler as well.

That adds to the end price of the build.

Now you can get a Ryzen 3700X for the same amount of money, you don't need to pay for an CPU cooler (actually you can but it's not 100% necessary) and as the board concerns, you will not find a good Z390 board that costs as near as the B450 Tomahawk ΜΑΧ for example.

So at the end, a Ryzen build would be the better deal in my opinion as far at the price concerns.

Example of an Intel build based on the offer from Microcenter.

CPU: https://www.microcenter.com/product/512484/intel-core-i7-9700k-coffee-lake-36-ghz-lga-1151-boxed-processor

Motherboard: https://www.microcenter.com/product/512622/gigabyte-z390-aorus-pro-intel-lga-1151-atx-motherboard

CPU cooler: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

The End build (INTEL):

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.99
CPU Cooler Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler $49.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $159.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $539.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-14 14:01 EST-0500

A Ryzen build (AMD) for comparison:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $324.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Total $439.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-14 14:02 EST-0500

That's $100 less that favors the Ryzen build. And even if you add an aftermarket cooler, the Ryzen build would be still cheaper.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $324.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler $49.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Total $489.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-14 14:06 EST-0500

Bright side: You get double the CPU threads for less.

Downside: The Intel build would be most probably faster on some games especially if you overclock it.

So at the, it's a good deal for an Intel build but not a great one if you compare it with an Ryzen one.

Of course it will be your decision with which build you wanna go with. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what it is for and if you want to overclock.

Some software has a distinct brand favorite.

Overclocking is a joke on Ryzen often losing performance well Intel has significant headroom.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

its a $70 savings but limited to certain motherboards.. i would think that you would have to find additional parts there to make it worth while than shop elsewhere.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

better for who, why, how?

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

That... isn't a deal. For $330, just get the 3700X if your video editing and rendering. Otherwise, get the 3600.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube