add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noob Question

oDarthBane
  • 1 month ago

Can you swap CPU's over as long as they're compatible with motherboard? If so how easy is it?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So long as they are compatible sure.

And it's just swapping it after removing the cooler.

Just don't have the PC running when you make the swap.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thank you. My current build is pretty decent except the CPU so I'm thinking of gradually buying parts across the year but wanted to make sure the CPU can be changed over.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The CPU cooler may be difficult to get off due to the thermal paste hardening. Use a twisting motion, rather than pulling up. I suggest running a benchmark to heat up the CPU, then turn the machine off, and immediately remove the cooler before it cools down.

You may have to update the BIOS.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thank you. My current build is pretty decent except the CPU so I'm thinking of gradually buying parts across the year but wanted to make sure the CPU can be changed over.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Go to your motherboard manufacturers page for your board. Check BIOS version required for the new processors and update if needed. Replace CPU, reset CMOS through.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube