add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Single Threaded Performance

Rector-Stingray
  • 2 months ago

I was wondering if a Single Core Processor has good Single threaded performance. Also, it is stated that Single Thread Performance is run as a single stream in a certain amount of time. This forum is useful to me cuz I have a lot of games to download.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I was wondering if a Single Core Processor has good Single threaded performance.

Depends on the core being used.

Giving how old a single cored CPU is though best bet is not very capable.

Also, it is stated that Single Thread Performance is run as a single stream in a certain amount of time.

Again depends, sometimes it's a measurement of how much can be run in a given time span, other times it's how long it takes to run a given workload.

This forum is useful to me cuz I have a lot of games to download.

Download speeds are going to fall more under internet speeds, network performance, sustained write speeds of the storage drive, and memory having enough capacity to buffer until the data can be written.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Giving how old a single cored CPU is though best bet is not very capable.

I was just thinking this. There has been some serious IPC and clock gains since single core CPUs were discontinued. The last single core CPUs died out about 10 years ago. If I am not mistaken it was the AMD Sempron 150 than ran at 2.9 GHz. If I am not mistaken there was an IPC gain from that CPU to the FX line of CPUs and the FX CPUs are known for their subpar IPC. If I were to take a R3-1200 and disable 3 of the 4 cores and manually set the clock rate to 2.9 GHz then it would still destroy the Semp 150 in both performance and power usage.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Single Core Processor has good Single threaded performance

Something like the Pentium 4 3.8GHz will have comparable single threaded performance with the Dual Core Q6600 which was one of the higher end chips knocking around 2008 or so. Older games designed around the era where single core CPU's and dual core CPU's were common will still run today although you might have to check what Windows Edition you need to install.

I do not recommend Windows 10 or even 7 for that matter with a CPU like that.

Modern games, assuming you work around potential DirectX problems, might be playable but nothing too heavy. You will be limited to older GPU's like the 8800 gt since anything more capable will be bottlenecked by the CPU anyway frame rate wise. No point upping the ante here - if a game looks and runs like s#%% at 720p bumping up to a 1080p capable card is going to achieve nothing other than run prettier graphics at the same lousy frame rate.

If money is stopping you getting something better my advise is this: Get that old Windows 7 era Intel Core i5 machine. Probably will be a locked Sandy Bridge CPU. Not that great but absolutely far far superior to a single core CPU like the Pentium 4. A cheap cheerful refurb, $50 - $80. Add your own GPU - get an older GTX 600 series or 700 series for quite cheap and you have a machine that would be leaps and bounds beyond something like the Pentium 4 with 512MB Ram and a GT 8800. One machine will struggle with any game post 2008, the other machine will handle pretty much every game you throw at with perhaps one or two exceptions. I have seen plenty of Goodwill $20 towers sporting Sandy Bridge i5's. If mobo is goosed replacing is not that expensive given demands for this generation of motherboards is low.

If however you are just curious about Single Core Performance or are building a Vintage PC, then disregard my advise.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I was wondering if a Single Core Processor has good Single threaded performance

Probably not. These things are ancient by today's standards. I think the last Single-core desktop CPU to be produced was a Pentium 4 in the early 2000s

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a Sempron 140 from 2010 that was a single core in my old computer.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube