add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with finding good priced parts.

RustyFire

1 month ago

A little backstory here...

I work at my school's tech help center. A little while ago, I stripped down an old Dell AIO that still had a good i5 6500. I was like, "Hey! I could use this for another build!" but the problem is that newer Intel motherboard chipsets don't support older Intel processors. I know that you can still buy z170/270 boards, but they are incredibly overpriced these days. I was wondering what good brands for the motherboard and what kind of GPU I should pair with this processor. I was planning to use this primarily for gaming.

Feedback would be very helpful!

Thank you

EDIT: Was looking to buy for ~500-600 USD

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

B&H has used motherboards that will work with that chip. Buying from them, I believe, you can return it if something gets wonky.

Example

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801473281-USE/asus_b150m_k_motherboard.html

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Brand does not matter for boards or really any part. What does matter is the exact part.

That is really a question that only you can answer since we don't know your goals for graphical performance.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You might have better luck looking for a used B360 or B365 board. Pretty much any should run the locked i5 just fine and hopefully is easier to find cheap.

This strikes me as a budget build so I'd look at something like a 1650 Super for a GPU, or used 470/570/480/580.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

6th/7th generation only work on 100/200 series motherboard so a 360/365 wouldn't work.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oof, I was thinking of Coffee Lake for some reason. My brain is fried.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You match the video card more to the monitor than processor as long as you have a decent one like you do.

Example with that CPU gaming on a 4K monitor probably a 2080 Super.

You can't just say oh a 6500 most you can use is a 2060.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Brand doesn't really matter.

As for the motherboards look at used/refurbished units B150/B250 or H170/H270 are going to be the best bet to catch a deal.

Everyone wants the Z series since they can overclock so they hold price better.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube