add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

< $5k build, second revision.

chaoseclipse01

82 months ago

Update

The parts...! 60% of them all at once! Feels like Christmas...in May. Check it: http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/chaoseclipse01/IMAG0042_zps53923aae.jpg?t=1368487264

Thanks to snowingairlines, on_droid, Bgwood91, and ArcaneArts, I've come up with this list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $499.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Thermal Compound Prolimatech PK-1 5g Thermal Paste Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk Purchased For $0.00
Storage Seagate Constellation CS 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) Purchased For $0.00
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $0.00
Case NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Optical Drive Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) Purchased For $0.00
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Purchased For $0.00
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K90 Wired Gaming Keyboard $124.99 @ NCIX US
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse $59.99 @ Newegg
Other Logitech Portable 1080p Webcam C615 $46.56
Other Corsair Vengeance® MM600 Dual-sided Gaming Mouse Mat $39.99
Other Vengeance® 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB Gaming Headset $80.98
Other NZXT Technologies CB-3F Cable (x6) PURCHASED $0.00
Other NZXT Individually Sleeved 3Pin fan Y Cable 2 Male to 1 Female Premium Cable (x4) PURCHASED $0.00
Other Monoprice Molex(5.25 Female) / Molex(5.25 Female), Int. DC Power Cable - 12 Inch PURCHASED $0.00
Other Phobya 4-Pin to 6 x 3-Pin Fan Splitter PCB PURCHASED $0.00
Other OKGEAR FC46-8 , 8 inch MOLEX 4 pin Male to PCI-E 6 pin Female cable PURCHASED $0.00
Other PrimoChill Ice Intensified™ - Non-Conductive Coolant (32 oz.) - Clear / UV Blue (x2) Purchased $0.00
Other Logisys 6" Dual Cold Cathode Kit - UV (Cables Sleeved&Heat-Shrinked) Purchased $0.00
Other Tygon 3603 3/8" ID (5/8" OD) Clear Tubing (x3) Purchased $0.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $852.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-07 21:49 EDT-0400

Lot has changed: Different...EVERYTHING!

Around 50% of the PC has been purchased (Including a Swiftech H220 from frozencpu.com) and on its way to me. Should have everything by the beginning of next month toward the middle of next month.

Nearly there...less than $900 remains. Going to sell all my airsoft equipment to make the final push.

/Update

Now...I wait for my savings to increase...

I will post pictures of this beast once I get eveything.

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I would change your motherboard to one that has more than 2 SATA 6gps.I would also go for the 680 over the 670. You might also want to get faster ram, if you are going to build such a nice build. Also, coolermaster is not the best when it comes to psu's, so you might want to upgrade that to.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, how do these changes sound?

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional (For more SATA 6gps)

Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 CAS 9 or 10 (Higher Memeory clock, but I'm not sure which version of it is better)

Corsair AX1200 (Little worried that 1.2kW won't be enough if/when I get to overclocking)

I don't feel like changing the 670's because they seem to be not much different from the 680's while being around a hundred bucks cheaper.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds much stronger. The AX1200 should be more than enough. Along the lines of CAS the lower is better.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

The one thing though, is whether you want more ram slots. The boards that you have looked at, only have 4 slots instead of 8.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

As for CPU cooler, if you want to go liquid cooling I would suggest you find a Swiftech H220 if you can. They are usually sold out but if you can find it in stock you will not regret buying it. It is only $130 and is basically a pre-filled custom loop. It is expandable so you can get more radiators and GPU blocks in the future.

I would also look for a different case. That case is overpriced and quite frankly, it is ugly. If I was going to spend that much on a case I would go for a Corsair 800D or 900D whenever it is released.

I would suggest you get the 840 Pro SSD instead. It has faster read/write times and from what I have seen it has a lower failure rate. The 840 is still a great drive but if you're spending ~5K on this build you can afford the extra 30-40 bucks for the pro series.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Also, if you are spending ~$2K on GPUs I would got dual Titans over 4x670s. The Titan scales better then the 670 when in SLI and when using 4xSLI the micro-stutter in games gets to be unbearable. I'm not sure which one if better for rendering, although I think I read somewhere that the Titan is a great editing/rendering GPU.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Needed changes! this build is not balanced at the slightest!: Get a case which supports Kraken x60 OR H110, or just pick up a swiftech h220 (or h100i). 2 way sli titans will beat the crap out of 4 way 670's (you get diminishing returns after 3 cards and micro-stuttering issues increase with more cards), get a seasonic PSU!

And those are my perscribed changes. I'll make a build in a couple hours when im free.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/U49s

Soft-edited a build using snowingairlines' suggestions plus some modifications of my own.

With the change from an XL ATX to ATX, I went with a much smaller (and much cheaper) case, changed both case fans and lquid cooling to Corsair equipment, as well as changing the Dominator Platinum to 1866 from 1600. PSU was changed to Corsair AX1200 (Still not sure if 1200 will be enough for the rig). Also took off the massive Thermal Paste quantity (No way I'm going to make 500 applications).

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, this is what I get when I forget to refresh. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll look into the new suggestions.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/U4AZ

Alright folks, took some others' suggestions into consideration.

Swapped the Samsung 840 SSD for the pro version as per on_droid.

Went ahead and knocked off the four 670's and went with EVGA Titans as per both on_droid and ArcaneArts.

Took the Seasonic X-Series 1250W PSU into the build from ArcaneArts (More wattage for cheaper, too).

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $539.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $139.99 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound Prolimatech PK-1 5g Thermal Paste $9.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus P9X79 PRO ATX LGA2011 Motherboard $303.97 @ Outlet PC
Memory G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $309.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $219.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $96.87 @ Outlet PC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $1025.91 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $26.97 @ Outlet PC
Case Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case $151.00 @ Newegg
Case Fan Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan $8.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 1200W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $259.99 @ Microcenter
Optical Drive Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $99.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $134.98 @ Outlet PC
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $266.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K90 Wired Gaming Keyboard $119.49 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse $69.99 @ Best Buy
Other Logitech HD Webcam C615 $79.99
Other Vengeance® 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB Gaming Headset $79.99
Other Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm x 4 $80.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $5050.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-30 16:27 EDT-0400

I've changed quite a bit. I noticed you had some "brand loyalty" going on. I must say, to be completely honest, that really isn't the smartest as you lose out on quality, performance, and price in many areas. I'll go over what I changed:

Motherboard: I changed to the Asus P9X79 Pro, as it is a fantastic motherboard, with a great price tag on it.

CPU Cooler: I switched you to the Swiftech H220, which is without a doubt, the best performing all-in-one Liquid cooler. Note I added 4 Noctua NF-F12's and these are for the cooler, as they are the best performing heat sink/radiator fans out there, and they are relatively quiet. You could get the 4, and use the low noise adapter on them, or just go 2 fans in pull (easier cleaning) and use them at full RPM.

Thermal Compound: I really don't know why you would get 200g of sub par compound (200g would do over 100 computers probably). I switched it to a top quality Prolimatech compound.

RAM: I switched to G.Skill Trident X RAM as it is cheaper, same speed, and has a CL of 7, which is completely fantastic.

Storage: I saw that you had an 840 series 120GB, but for this budget, you could blow that out of the water without even bringing up the overall budget. I bumped you up to a 840 Pro Series 256GB. I also changed your mechanical hard drive to a Seagate Barracuda 2TB as it performs better and is much much cheaper.

GPU: I decided to go with SLI Titans because why not

Network Adapter: I changed this simply to save some unnecessary spending as I doubt you will ever be using wireless A.

Case: I switched you to the 650D over the Cosmos II mainly because of the pricetag of the Cosmos.

PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer is a top tier power supply. I wasn't able to find much about that particular PSU you had. So I thought no harm in switching it out.

OS: You had Windows7 Pro Full, which is fine, but you could just get the 64bit that you would use, and save $100+.

Monitor: You want to do hardcore gaming, so I chose a 144Hz monitor for you. You could also get a BenQ which would be 120Hz. If you are going to go all out, you should definitely get a 120Hz monitor.

I started this revision after you made your initial post, and had to stop midway to come to work. Here is what I suggest, I know this is a little above the pricetag, but it would be amazing.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely some great choices here. Only thing I would sugegst is to drop the barracuda drive since it's prone to failure (more so than any other seagate drive, aergo it's pricetag). Also you dont need any extra thermal compound, the stuff that comes pre applied is high quality enough; getting another tube would be stupid since it would just expire. Also I would rival your choice of GPU's and monitor setup as I think a dual tita is definitely possible here and across three 1080p (or above) monitors, there's no reason you shouldn't beable to play that. Plus more monitors are almost always better for productivity.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a bit more old-schooled when it comes to computers. I don't fullscreen anything. I'll maximize something, but I'll still leave the toolbar showing if I need to swap to something else quick like. My peripheral vision sucks, so having two extra monitors would be like having a pair of dust magnets for me (Or Bookshelf ends, whatever floats your boat).

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a problem then, if you take my build and replace it with one large monitor, that should be perfect for you! :D

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really agree that the barracuda is prone to failure, from my experience of using and researching barracudas, I don't see a caviar black (for example) being worth 40% more when all you really get is 2 more years of warranty. This debate can basically go on forever, so I'll leave my side at that. I went with the compound just as some people don't trust the pre-applied compounds, and I wanted to make sure the OP didn't buy half-assed 200g of paste simply to have a matching brandname.

If you were to go with a multiple monitor setup, then I would go with CrossfireX 7970's for eyefinity. I left out multiple monitor gaming as the OP didn't mention it, and it's not for everyone (I personally don't think I would enjoy it).

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

The argument can go on for ages so I wont extend it. The paste thing again is controversial but I think he should just stick to the pre-applied, especially since swiftech includes some really high quality paste anyways. Also he JUST commented on the multi-monitor thing so I guess a single 1440p monitor would serve him just as well as two smaller monitors serve me :D Ive yet to experience surround, but it seems like a cool concept however i've almost always found atleast 2 monitors now pretty much a necessity for me to work (the extra space is gorgeous).

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, yeah, I kinda derped on the original thermal paste. I completely looked over that second zero in 200g. Yeah...derp.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/U5r1

I utilized some of your suggestions into that. Sorry for using links, but I'm more of a space saver when it comes to forums, lol.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Noctua NF-F12 > Corsair SP120

Unless of course the tan color is enough to turn you off of them, as I would understand if you feel that way haha.

As for a case, if you wanted to tone it down a notch from Cosmos/Obsidian series cases, take a look at the Corsair 500R. It's a fantastic case and looks nice too!

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

and with the tiniest changes done this build to take it to the next level... I present to you:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $499.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $139.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard $238.97 @ Outlet PC
Memory Corsair DOMINATOR 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $219.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $219.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $26.97 @ Outlet PC
Case Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case $151.00 @ Newegg
Case Fan Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan $8.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $99.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $134.98 @ Outlet PC
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $177.58 @ Newegg
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K90 Wired Gaming Keyboard $119.49 @ Amazon
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse $69.99 @ Best Buy
Other Logitech HD Webcam C615 $79.99
Other Vengeance® 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB Gaming Headset $79.99
Other Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm x 4 $80.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $4904.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-30 16:45 EDT-0400

Swiftech h220 as youve been told is awesome, flashy ram at a better price than the dominator platinum ripoff (still quite expensive but it should look pretty sweet), titans in SLI for pretty much destroying any game(and rendering 4k if you ever get into that ;) ), my new favourite IPS almost-bezelless monitors (three of those for the ultimate surround experience)

And that is all! I'm so jealous of your build, but my budget is only about 1k lower so really i'm only missing out on that second titan :P

Hope Ive helped, enjoy your new beast of a machine!

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm still curious about the placement of the 200mm fan. I mean, wouldn't two 120mm high rpm fans move more air volume than one 200mm fan? I'm still a bit on the new side for all the technical specifications for PC's specifically, but as a retired electronics technician from the Navy I do understand most of this stuff.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Less noise. That's all it comes down to.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Pfft. Who cares about noise when you're going to be wearing headphones? Everyone else can suck it up or leave, lulz.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

It's YOUR build mate, we're only making suggestions ;D I personally have my computer next to me on the desk since I have a carpet floor so It would be collecting dust quite easily. I dont give a crap about noise but if the computers don't need to be noisy... why make them so?

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Posts are getting a little tight haha.

The best way to run pull fans would be to have them setup on top of the radiator, as pull provides the same temps as push (nearly identical in almost all situations) and makes cleaning dust out a super simple.

Typically you would have the front, bottom (if applicable), and side (if applicable) as intakes. Then you would set up the top and rear as exhausts. This would keep a steady flow to the case, although sometimes there isn't enough positive air pressure and you can have a dust build up on the inside.

Your method still sounds completely viable, make sure to use the most possible roof fans, as they will be responsible for expelling all the heat. If this is the method you go with, I would make sure that you can fit push/pull in the roof, maybe get the slim scythe fans if necessary (I don't know their exact name, pretty sure they are scythe). A big positive to the way you have suggested is maximized positive air pressure which will be the most effective way to prevent dust build up.

This area I'm not 100% sure. I've done A LOT of research, but alas due to budget constraints I haven't been able to build a computer yet. I can say I have done a lot of research when it comes to cases and airflow, in my prospect build, I will be spending about 300+ on fans and cooling without even watercooling (which will happen shortly after).

I still believe you would be better off spending a few more dollars and getting a Corsair 500r, but thats simply me, as I love that case.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Think I will go with a different case, but I think I'll go with CM's Storm Scout 2 Advanced instead of Corsair. It comes with 5 fans already, plus 6 places to add fans. It's also got a reasonable-sized window for viewing inside as well. To top it off, it's really not that much more expensive than the 300R, and cheaper than the 500R. I'll just have to eventually replace the other fans over time to the extreme RPM ones I'm going to be putting in it.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Good choice, and sounds good!

Make sure you take lots of pictures whenever you get this beast built!

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh, don't worry about that. There will be pictures. Lots, and lots of pictures.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I wanna see too! :D :D

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

You will...in about a month and a half or two. Ugh, the wait is going to kill me. Hopefully I get accepted at this new job, my current one sucks.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Was looking through the Motherboards earlier and I think I found a better board than the Asus P9X79 Pro.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gax79up4

Checked it out; it supports quad-channel memory, has 6 SATA 6's, supports both 4-way Crossfire and SLI, and also has 8 ram slots, all for about $70 cheaper than the P9X79 Pro.

Seems better? Or should I stick with the Asus?

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Any chance you are planning on upgrading to a custom watercooling loop?

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps some time down the line. I haven't seen any thing for the UP4 board yet, so I'm stuck with just a CPU cooler for now. However, EKWB does have a full kit for the GTX Titan, which looks sick, but I'm going to need to get a much larger case before putting loop systems in for the GPU's.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Check out the NZXT Switch 810. Think of the rad possibilities. If you have lots of time to spare (an hour), watch the TimeToLive Customs (TinyTomLogan) review of that case.

I was in the same spot case wise. I decided I would like to watercool sooner than later, and decided this would be my case (with some modifications).

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, took a look a the 810 and it's certainly bigger for sure (Adopted it into my build already). I'll save the link for when I get around to watercooling.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

If I may recommend the following, I would suggest you take a look at the lineup of cases from Silverstone as they are pretty much the definition of 'Enthusiast' cases. Corsair claims to have that title, but for a build like yours.. I would suggest a TJ-11 ;) You like simplicity? So do I! Silverstone pretty much defines simplicity. Their designs are absolutely ingenious and they really are a work of art. http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=292&area=en << You think the NZXT Switch 810 has infinite watercooling possibilities? You haven't seen anything yet :P CaseLabs and Silverstone are two of many companies that take Chassis designs to a whole new level of intuitivity and innovation, however the reason why they're not widely spread... is because they have quite the premium price on them.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Spent a while looking at Silverstone's stuff...think I'll stick with NZXT's Switch 810.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Btw I fully realise I speak like a sales person.. I dunno what the heck is wrong with me but when Im passionate about something and I know it's the right choice to do, I try and sell it as hard as I can :P lol

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I managed to find a Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler on Amazon for $136.96. Purchased it already and waiting for it to show up.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

...Wow, I completely derped. Looks like that wasn't a Swiftech H220 I purchased. Didn't even look when I put it into Amazon search and saw something with 0's and 2's in it. I flipped and one-click-purchased it...

Turned out to be a Thermaltake 2.0 Extreme. I sure can be stupid when sleep deprived. Trying to see if the seller will take it back; looks like I'm going to have to wait for H220's to come back in stock.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Swiftech H220: Obtained. Hell yes.

Website: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18290/ex-wat-242/Swiftech_H220_Compact_Drive_II_Plug-and-Play_Liquid_Cooling_System_Pre-Order_Item_ETA_510.html

Pre-Order Slots remaining: 31

Get one while you can.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Rofl. One thing I certainly wasn't expecting from Seasonic, the damn PSU came in a velvet bag like a bottle of Crown Royale.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube