add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A question about an FX-8350

dschutt84

65 months ago

I do understand that the FX-8350 is an 8 core processor which includes 2 cores per modules. My question is if a program is either a single or dual threaded application would 2 or 4 of the cores be utilized during an application, given that its 2 cores in a single modules?

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

So let's say the AMD FX-8350 ran a single-threaded application. Note that it says "Single" threaded, so the processor will utilize only one thread. This CPU has no special hyper-threading of the sort and will only use a single core. In Dual-threaded applications, it's the same. Two cores will be used thanks to each core handling one thread. Quad-threaded applications and so on will do the same. If you are thinking about getting the processor, don't hesitate. It's an amazing processor with eight-cores for future-proofing and a stock clock speed of 4.0GHz if you don't care for overclocking.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I hear that its a great overclocker though.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure about the 8350, but from my personal experience the 8320 will hit 4.7 Ghz on air with only a 0.100 voltage boost. probably far more if you push it using water cooling. So the 8350 should perform similarly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube