add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ImThatDude

82 months ago

Hey guys, after months of contemplating I've decided to build my first pc. I'm going to use it for school, multimedia (mainly music, I'm a beginner audiophile) and gaming (mostly old games like KotOR I and II, Final Fantasy X, maybe Black Ops I and II and NBA 2K13/2K14, depending on the release of the PS4). I'm starting to think that the GPU may be too much and that I might have problems putting all this together considering I'm new at this. I'd like to hear some advice on this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wshu

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

to start things off, i would highly recommend changing the memory [ram] to ddr3-1600 with any cas latency but cas 9 is much preferred

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

i would change to a cheaper power supply [psu] that's reliable and modular or semi-modular. there's a lot of good psu's in that watt range for under $100
i think the gigabyte z77 ud3h motherboard will be good for you too and it's cheaper. the one you chose (the ud5h) is more expensive and the difference is minor. a feature that the ud5h has is better built-in audio than the ud3h i think. but that doesn't matter since you're an audiophile with a sound card
if you're going to get a ps4 then you don't need to spend extra on the optical drive for blu ray. just get the cheapest drive
since this is your first pc, most people don't overclock [oc] yet. so maybe you can switch to a locked cpu. this saves you money on the cpu and motherboard (you'd get a different motherboard chipset if going with a locked cpu). or keep the unlocked cpu and z77 motherboard and go with the hyper 212 cpu cooler instead of the phanteks. the hyper 212 allows for a small-medium oc

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your input bro. I thought that in terms of cas, lower is better?

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

yea lower is better but with that cpu (and i think every modern cpu), you don't feel a difference. the speed is more important
also forgot to mention. i would not buy that video card. if you want 3gb of vram, then go for a 670 4gb or 7950 or better

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your help dude, i'm gonna do some more research on your reccommendations and make some changes. Your suggestions gave me alot to think about

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome. that's the best way to do it! you wouldn't want me to put together a build for you. you lose that sense of customization and accomplishment. plus you won't know why i chose the parts. and i'm not psychic so i don't know if my build will suit you for the present and future

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

another word of advice, don't rush things. i spent months researching on parts but i rushed the motherboard. i regret buying my motherboard. could've bought a cheaper one for the same or better results

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

No doubt, i'm trying to be careful with picking the parts, i dont wanna get more than i need if it's gonna save me money. Btw do you think a 650W psu is too much? My estimated wattage is only around 400

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Is $1800 a strict budget? I recently helped out someone with a $2000 build which would be perfect for you..

Edit: nvm, my preferred merchants didnt have several items listed here so after changing that to 'all' i see that it's about $2200

Unfortunately though, with properly quality parts the closest I could get was $2.5K

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $499.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard $237.69 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $122.85 @ NCIX US
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $214.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card $279.99 @ Newegg
Sound Card Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $187.98 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case $173.75 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $153.00 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard $67.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards
Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 120W 2.1ch Speakers $149.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $2357.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-13 02:56 EDT-0400

People on here can make plenty of suggestions for improvements but this is personally worth every penny.

CPU is pretty much good for anything, h100i to overclock that beast, great motherboard, 16 gigs of ram because my friend who is in a band and produces music as well as works as a DJ says you pretty much need 16 gigs if you get into the really complex work. Since this a rig I believe will last you for years and years to come, I chose the highest quality parts from now. SSD choice was good but rather old, the 840 pros are better. Changed the 660ti to a generally more overclockable one just for that extra juice when needed. THE BEST soundcard available to consumers bar none. Creative lab's card is this card's maid.. Moving on, powersupply that will last you for the next few computer builds (gold rated, nice bit of headroom, could be downgraded though if you wish to save some money). The Acer is an IPS panel with 1080p which should be nice for your workflow. A mechanical keyboard, just because it's a nice investment and ask anyone... the one i've chosen is great. and lastly some amazing speakers because as an audiophile, this should be your biggest investment.

Now I understand music production needs a quiet environment SO I would suggest you take a look at a full closed Fractal Design Define R4, OR the new NZXT H630. Both great with sound deadening foam inside. However if you just want a general beast for pretty much everything you throw at it, this should do you just fine. Trying to save up the extra money to afford this would be totally worth it! :D

Now I undestand you might not want to spend this much, SO i'll give you a few channels where you can save money:

• CPU, could downgrade to a 3770K and get a good mobo for it - Perhaps the gigabyte UD5H

• Keyboard, could get a non mechanical one I guess.

• Corsair H100i, could downgrade to a good quality air cooler but that adds noise.

• PSU, if your next build will be ages from now, you can just downgrade the PSU to suit this build.

and that would be all! :D As always, I hope I helped! and have a nice day.

EDIT: and just because I'm a nice guy.. here's the one with all the downgrades http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WVYJ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Xigmatek Dark Knight SD1283 Night Hawk Edition 89.5 CFM CPU Cooler $50.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $116.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $122.85 @ NCIX US
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $214.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card $279.99 @ Newegg
Sound Card Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $187.98 @ Amazon
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $70.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $153.00 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard $67.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards
Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 120W 2.1ch Speakers $149.99 @ Best Buy
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1804.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-13 03:16 EDT-0400

-Arcane

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

i'd like to keep the cost under $2000 as much as I can, considering i'm outside the us and i have to pay customs duty and shiping on all the parts (through a package forwarding service) I'm more worried about cooling and keeping the parts (once i finally decide) for as long as i can because i've had a history of my pc's and laptops overheating. The 3930k looks like overkill but i'll keep it in mind in case i can get a good deal on it. Is the 3770k a big improvement from the 3570k? I've read that i7 cpu's are mainly better for high end video encoding/video editing and that the 3570k is enough for gaming. So i assume its gonna be more than enough for the kind of gaming i'll be doing. Like i told itzzJason, after about a year i'll go right back to console gaming and use this pc for school/multimedia/browsing for a few more years. In terms of ram i'm not going to be doing any music production, just sitting back and chilling to some nice tunes. Considering all this would the first build you mentioned (especially the cpu) really be worth it if i cant find any decent deals on parts in the next 3-4 months? Thanks for your advice dude, you and itzzJason have been really helpful man!

EDIT: I just realized haswell cpu's are coming out next month, do you think i should wait because i read that haswell is gonna have a new socket which may limit my upgrade options in the coming years? I'm asking this even though i dont wanna upgrade for at least 2-3- years

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

so far from what you've said, you're only going to use the pc for light to medium gaming. some of the games you named (if not all) don't even need a crazy build
so definitely a no for 3770k and 3930k. the price is too high for none to slight increase in gaming performance

where are you located?

if you can wait for haswell and gtx 7xx series, then go ahead

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, the most demanding game i'm gonna play is probably FFX/2k13 at medium settings. I've thought about it and i'll wait for haswell. I'm in the bahamas btw and getting a good deal on a decent pc is pretty much impossible here,so thats why i started this thread lol. Anyway thanks for your help guys

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason i'm recommending i7's all over the place is for relative future proofing. He's not only gaming, he's producing music, and from my friend's build (he is in a band, records and produces music as well as DJ's and he's a massive audiophile) I asked him and he said an i7 is good for the future. Don't just think in terms of now... some time in the future- could be one or two years or maybe it might be a decade from now!- when games will start being extremely demanding on both the CPU AND GPU which is when this i7 will come in handy. The second build falls a couple hundred under budget with no real loss in quality of parts and since cf/SLI fits nicely with surprisingly great temps in the tj08, I don't know what's stopping him going with this build! :P

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

excellent point but he said he's only doing light gaming until he gets his ps4. then it's just going to become a work/media pc

of course, it's up to the OP if he wants to future proof, basically what i would call, a temp build
even an i5 would be future proofing for him a bit in his situation

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Well these are quite odd. If its for gaming and Norma...wait he's a musician, i7 is appropriate. The mobo is micro ATX, you might want to get one that is ATX, more room for more components. I'd reccomend 650W PSU, but that's just me. Umm...that's about it lol :)

The first one was very unbalanced though. A 2011 3930k, paired with a 660ti? I personally have never seen that so it appears odd to me

EDIT: yea, no need for an i7 if its not intensive, a 3570k will be more than enough since he won't be playing high end games.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube