add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for a Keyboard for only Civil 3D (Auto Cad)

dschutt84

65 months ago

I need some help looking for a great keyboard that would work best with Civil 3d. This workstation that i work on does pretty much nothing else than Civil 3d (Its a 3d version of Auto Cad for Civil Engineering). Right now i have been using one of those free Dell keyboards that came with an old computer and its....yeah fine.

Thanks for any help!!!

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Since it's for work, just find the best keyboard that is comfortable for you.

Most common/popular are: Corsair K70, Razer Blackwider, Logitech G710+. If there's no gaming involved whatsoever, I'd just recommend a very simple/basic mech keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire. The tenkeyless version goes for <$90 and it's a very clean, solid purchase. Give a little more insight on what you're looking for (i.e. backlit, media keys, budget, size [full/TKL]) for better recommendations

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you! Right now i own the Microsoft sidewinder for a gaming build. Its a good keyboard for the price but not something id like to use for CAD. Thank you for your recommendation.

Their isnt a budget as this keyboard will be paid off in like a hours worth of work. I dont want something huge but have something that can save keystrokes. Yes no gaming whatsoever. Also id like a keyboard that's good for typing as i draft with only codes.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, to have a great paying job... That's my goal, eventually. Industrial Engineering major :x

Anyways, If you like tactile feedback when you're typing, Brown and Blue switches are the way to go. I'd recommend a K70, it's definitely a very solid keyboard. if you want something with less frills, go for an even sturdier Ducky Shine 3. They're built like tanks and will last you a very long time. I'm sure whatever you get will give you an enjoyable experience.

The 2 keyboards I recommended -> Ducky Shine 3 and Corsair K70 are probably your best option. Just do a little digging before you buy. Get one that you'll like visually and LOVE when using.

Here's a quick guide to the cherry switch types and pick one you like : http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

NP. Hope you find one that fits your taste! Just a heads up, there's also a really cool RGB Cherry keyboard coming out from Corsair (like a K70 but with 100% customizable backlit LEDs) but... up to you :)

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

What versions of Auto Cad aren't 3D? I thought all were 3D?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Regular auto cad. Civil 3D gives you the ability to make surfaces of existing and proposed to then develop proposed subdivisions and such. Its basically Auto Cad with civil addons.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, are you saying that typical autocad is only for 2D designs like floor plans? The CAD I've used is always to render and simulate 3D objects/environments.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

The one I practiced on was 2D, through school. The 3D software I practice was Solidworks though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube