add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asking for thoughts, First Timer. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WI3Q

Ambicadu

82 months ago

What are the thoughts one this setup? Looking for reliability and expandability. Want a great performer, but don't want to spend where it is unhelpful. Thanks in advance. This is an awesome website!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WI3Q

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 3 points

Okay here's a first draft of how I would spend $2K http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WIEl

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $499.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard $237.69 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $122.85 @ NCIX US
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $125.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $125.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card $379.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $26.97 @ Outlet PC
Case Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case $173.75 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $109.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1953.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-12 06:58 EDT-0400

This build includes the best processor out there at the moment, 6 cores... 12 total cores including the hyperthreaded ones. Swiftech H220 the best 240mm clc bar none. 16GB of no ******** ram, 4 sticks to take care of that Quad channel feature. Gigabyte UP4, the best; unrivaled; fully featured; best priced motherboard for the x79 platform. Your choice of SSD was perfect, the 840 pros are known to be rather awesome :P . The MSI Lightning 670 card, highest clocked, great cooling, great for overclocking and achieving almost 680-esque performance in games. Corsair 650D, the most elegant; well built; strong case I have ever seen.. Fully featured and should serve you well for builds to come. Last but not least the xfx GOLD rated power supply to provide plenty of headroom for overclocking, SLI cards in the future and much more.. It is a rebranded Seasonic PSU so you know the quality is top notch.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Wow dude. You really know your stuff. You must have a funnel that pours computer info right into your head. That all look great. I was trying to shoot for a $2K price point just as a baseline. The reason I went with 16 GB in 2 sticks was so that I could upgrade it to 32 easily soon. Virtual machines love to eat RAM and I was aiming at that 2K figure. But I understand what you are saying. The last MOBO I had was an ASUS and I was happy with it. Had not read reviews on various boards so I was just going with what I know, so thanks for the input.

Do have one question for you. My daughter has cats. Fur has been a nuisance. How does liquid cooling work with dust and hair? My guess is that it would be better. But looking for good filtering cases and quiet operation. And the gee wiz factor is worth a few bucks.

BTW The MSRP on the H630 is $149. I really like that case, but need more information on what comes with it.

Now I just need to copy and paste your list over mine.

Thanks man.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

In terms of dust and such, I believe a better case for you would be the Arc Midi R2, since Fractal Design has excellent build quality and it is fully filtered all around. I'm not too sure on the filters of the 650D if I'm perfectly honest which is why I can't speak for it but here's a review on the arc midi r2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujH42NYOgbI

If I were you, I'd just put the case on a separate desk or on the same desk, or simply elevate the case above the ground by a few feet which should decrease the notion of attracting the dust particles and cat hair. I have 5 dogs running around my house so I know what you're dealing with. I'd say stick with watercooling and especially that h220 for a couple of reasons.

1. Air would be pulling more air into the case... which would inturn increase the chance of dust+hair intake.

2. The H220 is quiet, it provides great cooling, and can be expanded into a full loop later on.

3. You wouldn't have to worry about the hair getting into the case at all with the clc and eventually a custom loop possibly since the rads will still cool even if not alot of air passes through them.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Your only real expansions from here on for a small bit more would be:

• 32 Gigs of ram

• A sound card

• Possibly a better GPU

• Peripherals to make the rest of the setup perfect! :D

EG: http://i.imgur.com/gljKFi3.jpg << Get three screens, Get a nice microphone, get a sweet speaker system, etc. etc.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

What are the uses for this machine? If it involves gaming and openCL/GL compatible programs, you're better off with dual 7970's :) and try and find a seasonic PSU please with a gold rating or such. You don't want to be skimping out on a $2.5K build.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the input. The system is a general use computer. Gaming, Multimedia, etc... But my son and I are also going to be doing some gaming programming, Java Open GL too start. And it will periodically be running several virtual machines as well as he is studying for some computer certifications. Which is why we are doing a build from scratch in the first place. I was thinking NVidia primarily because I had a bad ATI experience once and may want to use their 3D at some point. I probably would start with one card in any event. There is a certain amount of wistful dream here I'm sure. Lastly, it will also be a Home Music Studio with additional additions. He is quite the guitarist. Thanks.

• 82 months ago
  • 3 points

I'd say if you want one card, gather your money for a titan or if you can wait for the 780 card. Both are truly a programmer's dream simply because their compute power is immeasurable. I'm not even exaggerating right now. Several reviews have said so and several results have shown this to be true. However I understand the titan comes at a steep price so the 780 might be a better alternative if you can wait. Eitherway, you really can't go wrong with nvidia cards (I know I'm going to sound like a total fanboy) but my personal general experiences have been all around better than with AMD.

I'd say if he's into music, invest into a good microphone above all. That should make him really happy :D The GPU is not something you should put alot of thought in if gaming is not a priority, CPU power is the key here, if you go with a 660ti and a 3930k, it'll perform better than some crazy SLI 680 configuration with a 3770K because of a few things...

1. Don't do SLI on the 1155 platform.. -.- You have only one 16X pci slot and the rest are 8X meaning you wouldnt be getting the maximum power out of it.

2. SLI doesn't even benefit compute since most programs don't utilise SLI.

It's only gaming that uses SLI and a few other tasks, and since this is a work computer, I would much rather you spent your $2000 wisely on proper gear that will exponentially increase your workflow speed while still giving you an enjoyable gaming experience. If you give me a few minutes I might be able to cook up a little something for you :)

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much for you insights and feedback. Particularly on the 1155 and SLI. I was unaware of that. But a dual card setup would be down the road anyway. I just wanted to be sure I could add it later. I do some CAD work as well, but it is nothing heavy duty. I'm sure any of these setups could handle it nicely. I didn't even add a sound card at all because I have no idea what it takes to get good input for a musician. All I was looking for there was slots and USB Ports. With the ability to add as I figure out what to add. I understand your point on RAM speed. But it will be running virtual machines - multiple virtual machines - for training purposes. They use RAM. Thanks again for the valued input. This is a great tool for determining all of these variable. Kudos to the Web guys here. I need to look around a bit to see how submit new items. NZXT has a new case that I would prefer, but it is not available to select.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

The h630, it has already been added. Just no pricing on it at the moment.. so It doesn't appear on the list.

Take a look at the build I just posted, tell me what you think :) btw, I also know that for vrams, more ram> faster ram. So I hope you take that into consideration.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh btw, speed of RAM doesn't matter. Don't be sucked into the beauty of large numbers for the hell of it, purchase wisely. 2133 ram will give you absolutely NO gain over 1600. You know why? because speed only matters if the RAM is actively used, like in a ramdisk or as a supplement to an APU (onboard graphics). You however have a dedicated card with dedicated ram, so there's no need for the overpriced ram.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Btw: Because I'm a nice guy here's some more information on the H630 NZXT case you have your eyes on.

Here are two galleries posted on reddit of the stuff you can do with this case:

Here's the trailer which Im sure you've watched: http://youtu.be/qUcw02xIuMU

It supports every motherboard except for mini itx (obviously), It has 9 expansion slots at the back, weights 14 kg, has 2x USB 2, and 2x USB 3.0 on the front I/O along with audio/mic jacks, a card reader, and some LED for the I/O and HDD. It also comes with a 2 year warranty, and can hold a PLETHORA of fan/water cooling options. It has dus filters in every intake, comes with a 200mm intake front fan and a 140mm rear fan only BUT you can pimp it out with two 200mm in the front, 3x 120mm in the top (or 2x 140mm, or 2x 200mm - which means a 360mm Radiator could be put up there as well as in the front ;) ).

Those are the basic specs I could pickup from their website along with comments from reddit. So yeah, it's pretty much another full tower with elegant looks, GREAT airflow, and a hefty amount of options! :D

The big thing about this is that it is PACKED with sound deadening foam, and it's made fully of steel.

Once again, Hope I helped~!

-Arcane

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again. I saw a link to this site on another website and came to check it out. And began playing around. Just to see and think about things. Now I'm looking at the bank account and making plans. May be a few months though. But gonna happen. I really like the NZXT H630 aesthetically. And the steel and other features are a big plus. Busy this week, but I'm gonna poke around here and other sites for more info. However what you specked out it pretty much spot on and likely what I will be going for. Part of this is to see if my son will be interested in building computers as a side job before school. So this will be fun, a learning experience and maybe something he might be interested in doing down the road for others.

Thanks again for the amazing assistance.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

My pleasure :) Best of luck on the build and make sure to take LOTS of pictures! :D

-Arcane

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

If there's ANYTHING you want to ask me, please, don't hesitate to ask it (as a reply to one of my posts here) and I'll be sure to reply ASAP :D

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube