add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My first custom built computer

mr43741
  • 82 months ago

I am currently attending school for Web Development. My computer that I have now is VERY old (Toshiba L305 Satelite Laptop) and can barely run any of the programs that are needed for school all at once without slowing down. These programs include:

Adobe Dreamweaver Adobe Photoshop Temporary SQL server (local) Web server (Not heavy, but not light either)

I need these up all at once to make my coding more proficient. The web server being hosted off of a laptop is what mainly drags my computer down. I have quite a bit of money from student loans that can help me get a new computer so I built this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mr43741/saved/1ArZ

My Notes ( excuses ;p ):

I chose AMD because I heard that they are good at handling multiple processes at once over Intel (not sure if it's true, just what I've heard).

I wanted to make sure I was fine on RAM so I went with 16GB rather than 32GB. I don't even think I'll need the 16GB, but it's there just in case if the web server gets a little heavy.

The video card is so if I want to play a game or two, I don't have to worry about dumbing down the graphics. I won't be playing Crysis 3 or anything! just an mmorpg here or there.

The case is staying! I love this case and I have wanted it ever since I saw it. It is spacious, quite, and lots of room for upgrades in the future.

Don't care on the optical drive, I just closed my eyes and clicked.

Operating System is staying as well. I love Windows 7 ultimate. BitLocker is a must have for me.

Apart from my notes, am I spending too much? Am I going with too high end of parts? Also keep in mind that I do not have a monitor, keyboard, or mouse added to the list. I will be going to stores to see those first hand. I don't buy it unless I can try the mouse/keyboard or see the screen of the monitor.

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

A $470 case O_o

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I think if your going to spend close to $500 on a case, you might as well buy the top of the line products. Go with the i7 3770k or 3930k. And with a case that big, you should have water cooling. Unless you are are going to be playing dvds and such, you dont need an optical drive.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know about you but I don't spend lots of money on parts hoping they will be reliable. AData is not a reliable brand, it may perform well but it is a budget bargain brand - for nearly the same price or slightly more you can get a Samsung 840 / Pro and not have to worry how long it will last you compared. I'd prefer the peace of mind going with high quality on something that is going to hold my operating system but that might just be me ;) Happy building.

• 82 months ago
  • 0 points

I'd get a different SSD (the M4 isn't very fast for the price), a cheaper motherboard, and the 8350.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $189.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $129.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $124.35 @ NCIX US
Storage A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $199.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card $174.99 @ Newegg
Case Lian-Li PC-V2120X ATX Full Tower Case $499.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $84.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $184.97 @ Outlet PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1589.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-12 13:03 EDT-0400
  • 82 months ago
  • 0 points

I think you're spending WAY too much on the case. With that money, you can get A LOT more performance. For example, look at this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WLCh MUCH more performance for almost 1600$ and it would do you better.

I really think you should think over about that case staying. It's pretty stupid in my opinion and paying 500$ for a case ... that's ridiculous. Honestly, for what you want to do, you really don't need to be spending even close to 1600$ , you could go with a build for 1000$ that would suffice. It's up to you but I really think you should think some things over.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube