add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
SSablain
  • 82 months ago

I am currently trying to get a computer up and running that will be used for very light gaming, surfing the internet, and running multiple low end programs. I am going to get a video card at a later point and I believe the onboard will be able to meet my needs in the mean time. I already have a hard drive and operating system so I don't have to worry about that at the moment. I am trying to get this machine going for as cheap as possible but at the same time I don't want to screw myself in the longrun because I plan on adding a nice video card and a better hard drive down the line. The only thing in this machine that I want to make sure stays is the processor. Please advise on what mother board, memory, and case would best meet my needs (I know very little about any of these). Thanks for everyones help.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X4Vv

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Rosewill R103A ATX Mid Tower Case w/350W Power Supply does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

You should choose out a new case, one with a USB 3.0 header. You looked at the same case I did too, so your tastes must be similar to mine. :P This is the case that I chose http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-ps08b

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

What power supply did you get with this tower. That is also something else I know very little about?

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is an alternative to consider:

• Mobo - I prefer Gigabyte, so I changed it to a Full ATX Gigbyte mobo.
  • Case - A good budget case
  • PSU - The Mobo / Case deals usually have pretty crappy PSUs. This modular PSU from Corsair should work will for you. Check you video card and make sure it has enough wattage though. Some video cards request at least 500 Watts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $112.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $69.63 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $467.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-13 20:12 EDT-0400

Hope this helps.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

This is exactly the advice I was looking for. Just out of curiousity would performance be better if I increased the memory or if I got a SSD to put the operating system on and then use my current hard drive as additional storage?

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

I would say the SSD will give you the most visible performance gain. They are super fast for things like boot up or other system functions.

Increased RAM will only benefit you if you running more programs than your current amount of RAM can run without accessing the page file. It happens, but rarely so when you have 8GB.

So I would go with an SSD. This article may help you decide which one you might like: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

Good Luck!

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for the advice.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I was adding all of the parts to my cart and getting ready to pay when I realized the mother board says it supports DDR3-1066/1333/1600 but the memory I have in the current build is DDR3-1866. The systems doesn't reject the combination so I am assuming they will work together. Is this going to be a problem?

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Shouldn't be a problem at all. What sticks are rated at is what they are rated MAX at, so you can always run it slower. But since the mobo is only rated to 1600, I would just change out the RAM or mobo to have a better match. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I was desperate to get a computer up and running ASAP and the site didn't say anything about it being incompatible so I took my chances and ordered it. Hopefully I won't run into any problems.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube