add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Nearly Finalized Build

blackjesus

82 months ago

Hi guys! I am about to finalize my build for this summer (won't be buying the parts until late July if that changes anything) and would like you all to pitch in, open to ALL ideas.

Some thoughts first: I know there is a sad lack of SSD, but I am actually happy with the speeds that my computers boot and store data. SSD would be nice, but at this time I couldn't fit it into my budget and I feel like the price/gb rate at this time is too high, planning on waiting for a bit until they go down.

I was aiming for $1,000 including all the peripherals and OS, but the price I got was a bit higher, feel free to try out your own build!

Thanks all!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Microcenter
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $134.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 Memory $29.98 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card $249.70 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter $14.98 @ Outlet PC
Case Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case $63.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-MFJR-07FK-R1 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan $16.75 @ Amazon
Power Supply Raidmax 700W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $69.31 @ Compuvest
Optical Drive LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer $17.98 @ Outlet PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.94 @ Outlet PC
Monitor Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $129.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $28.98 @ Outlet PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1096.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-13 22:08 EDT-0400

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

The Asrock extreme 4 is a cheap budget board that offers a lot of features at the cost of quality. It is short and flimsy compared to similar priced boards and uses cheap parts hidden under heatsinks. Example is in this article: http://www.overclock.net/t/1333812/asrock-z77-extreme4-z77-extreme6-review

A gigabyte UD3H provides far better quality and is nearly the same price also in the same price range ASUS has a board as well both would be far better quality than the Extreme 4 board.

Raidmax is a horrible PSU and far, far from known as being reliable. I'd suggest looking into something from XFX, Seasonic, or even Corsair depending what's available and on sale. Unless you absolutely only plan on playing games that need Nvidia's technology such as PhysX and such the 660 Ti is not a great card, compared to its competition the 7870 XT / 7950, the 660 Tis memory bus is far to limiting and causes you to be forced to turn down graphics settings. The AMD cards I mentioned are far less limiting and are either nearly the same price and or could be cheaper.

All this being said, there is still your RAM to be looked at which is DDR3-1066, you'd want at least 1600Mhz RAM and 4GB is pushing the limits just slightly.

Now since you aren't building this until July or so, have you considered the Haswell launch will be announced Jun 3rd / 4th. Also the new Nvidia graphics cards will be launching no later than the end of this month. I'd highly recommend looking into the new Nvidia GTX 760 Ti instead because it wont have the limited memory bus as the 660 tier does now.

I hope this helps at least a little.

To help with a powersupply use this: www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow thanks! That's what I love about the forums here, I can think I have everything perfectly locked down and then find places to continue to improve.

Can you talk about the RAM more, you kind of lost me in your recommendation (sorry, first build)

The 660ti seemed like a real good choice and it was solidified by my friend who is an Nvidia fanboy, so while I looked into both sides, it was quite heavily influenced. Can you talk about the card you would recommend within the 250-300 dollar range?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube