add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Proof that Alienware is Overpriced

PC_Noob_9000
  • 67 months ago

Most Expensive Alienware: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r4/pd?oc=dpcwny6&model_id=alienware-aurora-r4

Equivalent Custom BuildPCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $569.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $139.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011 Motherboard $327.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $284.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $179.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $179.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI) $418.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI) $418.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case $215.43 @ Amazon
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $159.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $26.97 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $128.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $3039.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-10 16:06 EDT-0400

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 5 points

For alienware, you are paying the 600 ish dollars for experience. Similar to macs.

For people like us, of course we say it's overpriced. The targeted marget is not us though; the targeted marget is a rather rich gamer, that is not nerdy, that is willing to pay the $600 for the LEDs and the alienware logo and to brag to his friends "I have an alienware!". These are the same people who have next to no interest in overclocking and have no clue what a "4930k" is at all. But, to a non geek, saying or hearing "4930k" sounds impressive.

For anyone else not on this forum, it is not overpriced. For us, it is.

Just my $.02.

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

Also Dell wants you to pay 200 dollars for a factory overclock O_o

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

they are forced to support the product, so thats them making sure it doesnt cost them more than it makes them in the long run... lol all for the price of a new motherboard

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

that $600 is also supporting the massive infrastructure that dell needs to pay for that a diy guy does not have (factories, labor, etc), and it goes towards the mandatory support they must provide (separate from the more expensive extra warranty and support offered for a fee), the huge marketing expenses, r&d on products that might not ever turn a profit or see release (they did phones too for a while.... didnt work out much), and all other aspects of the company while still trying to turn a profit... so ya, its going to cost more for a store bought pc almost always (with the exceptions being budget systems and laptops mostly)

im actually surprised that ONLY a $600 difference.... years ago they had a $1100 difference on a $4k system i priced out

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

This.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

Your not a geek for being tech savvy :) Just more intelligent than the average bear.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

.-. it's not overpriced so much as...they sell prebuilt Computers... so if they sell it for the cost of the parts...They aren't making money

That wouldn't even be a buisness...

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

xD I used so many ...'s

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

They pay less for the parts because they buy them in bulk.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah

So they make like 800$

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

everyone knows that, still would buy a laptop from them though but i like msi this laptop has worked great

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't. I'd just get the Dell branded ones or an Msi or razer. If I wanted super high end (over $2k) then there's other companies that vastly over perform.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Pre-built computers will always be overpriced.. doesn't matter who you get them from. It's been like that for years (if not decades). They on time I've seen them cheaper is if a person sells their computer at cost of the parts.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot of the lowest end computers are hard to compete with, part for part. This is because manufacturers are able to get Windows for dirt cheap based on their agreement with Microsoft. Manufacturers are also able to make their own cases, so that helps a little.

Almost all mid-range & up will be worth it to build your own, even with the $100+ Windows license.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

they also pay much less for the other components due to bulk purchase contracts and cross marketing deals and such

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are going to prove it is overpriced then at least use everything that they use so that we can compare the price.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

The specs are exactly the same

• 67 months ago
  • 0 points

NO. you included a cd when it uses blue ray. The PC also comes with some keyboard and mouse thing.

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

This model said it does not come with a keyboard or mouse and that by default it comes with a dvd/rw drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube