add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Win 7, Win 8, or 8.1?

Kumiko

61 months ago

I hear that windows 8/8.1 is better overall because of boot speed and it doesn't use as much resources as Windows 7. Is this true?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the confirmation! :) Doesn't 8.1 have same or similar interface as win7?

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Windows 8/8.1 have a much different interface by default than Windows 7. However, you can change it to boot to an interface a lot more like Windows 7, though there will not be any start menu. Of course there are different programs to use that will bring a start menu like feature to the desktop but since Windows 10 (they completely skipped over 9) has been released and will come out in 2015 (I think), and there is a start menu in that, I would recommend waiting for it to be available instead of getting another piece of software, as I mentioned above if the start menu is an issue for you. Here is a link to a tutorial for booting into the desktop on 8.1:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html

Hope this helped!

PS: I would not recommend getting 8 over 8.1, it will only save you a couple of cents and will be missing features like booting into the familiar desktop interface.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

8.1 is a free update to 8. If you find 8 much cheaper, go for it, but it will just take a little time after installing it to update to 8.1 via Windows update... No biggie really

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I know but in my opinion I would prefer to pay 50 cents so that I won't wait an extra 1-2 hours for a download that might not work, which in that case, I would have to do it again. But, that is just personal preference. If you do not mind you could get 8 and buy a candy bar with the 50 cents to celebrate the pc being built. :)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

There are times where it's more like $30 difference and not 50 cents. At those times, 8 is worth it.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the detailed answer. I'll keep it in mind :) I think I'm good with 8.1 for a while though. If win10 is appealing enough after it's release, I'll consider it. I'm not very concerned about the interface, just performance really.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

10 is supposed to be a major improvement in more than just the main desktop interface. Time will tell though (or you can download the developer preview and try it out)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorta. You can make it exactly the same by installing classicshell.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, that is why I mentioned adding extra software.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

neat~

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Still far from the same, but a bit easier to deal with for sure.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess a better way to phrase it would be that it's the same for everyday use.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube