add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

An Affordable Chrome Computer

JustinKelleher

63 months ago

Hello, I'm working on a design for my friend. He will be browsing the internet and watching YouTube videos the most. It also need to run Microsoft Word and other applications like that for his homework. He wants to be able to watch/burn CDs/music. He also wants to be able to play Minecraft but that is the lowest of his concerns since he lives in the county and has the worst Wi-Fi. He has a small budget of a maximum of $500. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: He lives in the United States.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 3 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $139.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI A78M-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $37.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.77 @ OutletPC
Case NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Mwave
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $82.79 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $454.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-23 21:38 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

little pass over the budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $89.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $47.86 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.77 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card $129.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $82.79 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $537.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-23 21:50 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Weird choice of parts considering this is not meant to be a gaming rig.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

more weird is that you have 2 choices 1- a10-7850 or 2- FX-6300 with a R9-270X both for the same price and you pick the APU. Pretty sure most ppl will go with the better build which is the FX. Would be better for everything as the cpu in the 7850k will not beat a FX-4300 and the gpu is like a R7-250. If he wants to save money then he should get an A6 which would then seem logical.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't think of many tasks he'd utilize 6-cores on (Sure you could make the argument for multi-tasking). I only recommended the A-10 because in the long-haul he'll get a chip thats comparable to the 6300 and not apart of the dead FX line. Using the saved doe by going integrated graphics he could upgrade the Mobo and PSU so he can easily upgrade in the future. Hell even intel "HD" graphics would be fine for his build, maybe even an i5-4690.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I think multi-iostream has the right idea.

Although you could go an intel route with an i5 or i3 chip, the intel HD graphics on them should be just enough and he'd get more reliable single-core performance.

I ditto (And I will get a massive amount of hate for this), Maybe in this situation a laptop would be a good bet. Even a pre-build PC considering how huge black-friday deals are.

EX: http://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/?category=computers+amp+tablets2

The i5 deal includes a monitor and OS + peripherals for a flat 500. Ofc you wouldn't get the same satisfaction of actually building a PC but its still somewhat valid.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

That's interesting. I just confirmed with him that he will not be gaming on this, too. He has horrible internet. Will a better Wi-Fi card make the internet any faster like communicating with a router? Also I think he wants a desktop because he wants to slowly upgrade to an amazing rig.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats defendant on the actual speeds that his ISP "guarantees" him.

If they say 30MB/s UP its very unlikely he will ever get more than 30. If they say 30MB/s UP and tests for 20MB/s the node might be a bit congested (Advertised speeds are always the MAX speeds not the average speed).

Its certainly possible that its just his card and thats simple to test, just use an ethernet line to the modem and check for differences.

I really do like IOS's Part list, Only recommendation would be change out for a better Motherboard. Thats pretty simple to do. just look for a more expensive board with better reviews.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube