add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1 graphic card or 2 graphic cards?

Makmarian
  • 62 months ago

Im going to buy a computer in about 2 months, and i wondered if i should use 2 graphic cards or 1. (For example): 2x MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 or 1x MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB PhysX?

Isn't it more practical to have two, because when you have to upgrade, you can change 1 card at the time. Instead of waiting 5 years before you change 1 graphic card, you change maybe every 2. or 3. year? Wouldn't that be more "smooth"

Because you can do this on Crossfire and not SLI? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

What gives the best performance, 1 or 2 cards?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 3 points

the general consensus is 1 powerful card is better than 2 weaker ones. however since you are going for top of the line respectively. I would go with 2x290's they will outperform a single card.

you also need 2 of the same cards to crossfire, you cant say upgrade from a 290 to a 390 and crossfire the 390 with your 290.

the resolution you will be gaming at is a factor but unless your going with 4k you would want a 8gb card(s), 4gb is plenty for 1080-1440p.

side note and i could be 100% wrong: I believe amd is better at scaling than nivida when it comes to crossfire/sli.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube