add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's a good non-water CPU cooler that will fit in the BitFenix Prodigy?

will0956
  • 62 months ago

I need a new PC, and am looking to get an mITX system because I travel a lot, here's the specs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $279.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $96.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $140.98 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $198.22 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card $526.30 @ Directron
Case BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case $75.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $112.99 @ Newegg
Other Windows 10 Technical Preview Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1516.44
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1476.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 18:22 EST-0500

My budget is $1.55k USD for the entire system (around $75 for the cooler)

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Noctua is pretty highly rated for their various coolers; both effective and quiet. I know the Phantek TC14PE cooler is another good high-end model that rivals Noctua's D14/D15 models.

OF course, for traveling, as Luckypants said, a water cooler would probably be best. Not to say it's not going to work, I've taken a TC14PE still attached to the MB on 200+ mile trips, but you'll need to be really careful. Some tips: don't do tight curves at high speeds; keep the motherboard flat (lay the case down); put the GPU back in its anti-static bag/take it out and store it separately for the trip.

One option might be, if you are fine with stock clocks, keep the stock Intel cooler (though, maybe get some better thermal paste). You'll still enjoy a higher clock than the non-K version, so that's like a pre-applied OC!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Cryorig H7 . AVAILABLE on newegg.

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Out of the Cooler Master Nepton 240M and the Swiftech H220X, which is the quietest, but also the best performer?

I will switch to a Z97 motherboard, and reference 980.

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I will choose Cooler Master Nepton 240M while compare to Swiftech H220X.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

to add a little to the psu topic, all RM series from corsair are Tier 2 with the EXCEPTION of the RM 750 and 850 which are Tier 3. No need for that, get the EVGA G2 750 or 850 which are both tier 1 (the best) , have a better 10 year warranty and also cheaper (wait did I say that...)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

back to topic.. as mrlucky pointed out, its not a good idea (eventhough you can fit about any heatsink there) to get a huge heatsink if you're going to be moving the build often. The Nepton 240m is a very nice choice. You can also go for the corsair H80i.

If you still want to go with an air cooler and not planning on overclocking the noctua NH-L12 is a good option.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

None of those PSUs fit (both 177mm, when the case only supports 160mm)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You're right!!, sorry didn't check that!! why do you need an 850 psu as you wont be able to SLI with an itx motherboard and an ITX case? a 550 watt psu should do the trick

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

the seasonic is a nice tier 2 psu, the RM550 is also tier 2 but more expensive

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube