• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

dschutt84 68 months ago

Would you recommend a Raid 1 with (2) 2tb drives and back up with another 2tb drive or just get (2) 2tb drives and just use one as back up?

What are some good 2tb drives that aren't too expensive but reliable. I usually go with seagate but open for really anything. These will only be used for media and FTP server.

Comments Sorted by:

gseyffert 1 Build 2 points 68 months ago

Orrr you could use RAID 5. You get the benefit of two drives in RAID 0 with a third drive as a backup in the event of drive failure.

BoltActionWaffle 1 Build 1 point 68 months ago

Hello, personally I would go with Raid 0, and seagate is Fine, I use Seagate myself and they haven't let me down YET.

-Tyler

sharkbyte5150 1 Build 2 points 68 months ago

With RAID 0, you lose all data in the event of HDD failure on any of the drives in the array. For a media and FTP server, that's not a great recommendation.

With RAID1 there would be no need for another drive as backup since RAID1 offers protection of your data if one of the two drives fails. If you pick a good solid drive like a WD Enterprise or a Seagate Barracuda and just use a 2nd as a backup without RAID, that should be fine also.

Note: Avoid WD Green drives for RAID, and the WD Caviar Black are loud.

BoltActionWaffle 1 Build 1 point 68 months ago

Oh, Sorry I got Raid 1 and 0 mixed up, I meant that I would use Raid 1.

-Tyler

dschutt84 submitter 3 Builds 1 point 68 months ago

Thanks for the recommendations!!!

Yeah I was a little confused about the raid 0 being used for media storage only.